Existing Member?

Elephants, mangoes and ceylon tea: these are a few of my favourite things The adventures (and misadventures) of an Australian in exotic and spiritual Sri Lanka

Northern Delights

GHANA | Wednesday, 3 December 2008 | Views [1362] | Comments [4]

Can I keep her?

Can I keep her?

It was time to ditch work and hit the road running for a week…

Travelling North in Ghana is an epic trip due to poorly maintained roads and equally dodgy vehicles. But the 4am bus rides, the hours of sitting with live chickens stuffed in plastic bags below my seat, the dust sticking to the walls of my lungs, interesting toilet experiences and the blown tyre were ALL worth it to see three elephants wallowing in the mud.

The road to Mole National Park is a bumpy one, dusty and riddled with crater-sized potholes. We took the bus from Tamale at 5am, originally planning to sleep for most of the journey. However, we were shaken violently back to reality when our keen bus driver flew over the potholes and while we passengers flew a meter out of our seats!

On our first trek through the park, we saw plenty of warthogs greedily nuzzling garbage, baboons, monkeys and gazelle. And back at the lodge, a greedy baboon riffled through one guy’s bag, stealing his camera before jumping on a girl to hijack her packet of crackers. I froze (once again, no rabies injection) when a monkey jumped on our table at breakfast, rose to full height in front of me, sniffed around, took all my sugar cubes and ran away.

Day two we were more successful and came across three Savanna elephants with massive ears flapping about and bathing in a waterhole. They stood 20 metres away and were just beautiful. I felt so small next to them (well, smaller than usual).

Just out of the park at a small village called Larabanga, we saw the oldest Mosque in Ghana which contains one of the seven original Korans from Mecca. It was a prehistoric looking structure made of mud and sticks.

On the 12 hour bus trip to Tamale, I met a woman from the UK helping establish a medical clinic in a tiny town outside the city. So we paid a visit to the village to experience real village life. The men live in square huts, separate from the women in round ones. The women can only stay in their husbands quarters when they’re invited (hello!) We wandered into the communal kitchen – a hut which uses maize cobs as fuel. We met the chief who was wearing an Osama bin Laden t-shirt either in really bad taste or simply because he didn’t know what it represented. His three wives offered us their babies to carry around on our backs, wrapped in cloth – African style.

It was wonderful wandering through the school and past the women pounding fufu with a three-month old sleeping and dribbling hitching a ride. The village was extremely poor and without even a well for its water supply. Tribal markings (small scars made with a knife at birth) are still a feature in this part of Ghana and allegiances can be deciphered just from looking at someone’s face. The practice is being discouraged because tribal conflicts have been a main cause of conflict in Africa.

Travelling south again, we browsed West Africa’s biggest market in Kumasi before heading west for Green Turtle Lodge – an eco lodge with a beautiful beach and delicious food. Walking, swimming, reading, sipping rum (pirate style) by the fire on the beach. Finally, we ended the trip in Cape Coast where we went to a friend’s pyjama party before heading back to Accra on a trotro filled with a tub of industrial sized butter leaking all over the back seat and a door coming off its hinge. A policeman on the way asked for an extra generous bribe to account for the melting butter (apparently that butter was breaking some imaginary regulations?!)

So after a week of go-go-go and in the tradition of most holidays, I returned to Accra more tired than when I’d left.

Comments

1

Elise...I want you to know that I have NEVER enjoyed reading like I am now. You put magic into words. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful adventure! One thing is for sure..I certainly won't enjoy reading the Womans Day again. Enjoy the rest of your fascinating journey, and will see you soon darling.
P.S. Make sure you have plenty of sugar cubes! Love you heaps..x x

   Mena Librandi Dec 3, 2008 9:43 AM

2

Love your work.......oh my! it is going to be hard for you to settle when you come back.....your experiences have been amazing. We are waiting with bated breath to hear all the stories that are still to be told. Love you, mamma xxx

  Gina Beacom Dec 5, 2008 6:18 PM

3

Dear Elise,
Another lovely story capturing the diverse cultures of Ghana. Hope you have a chance to catch your breath so you can enjoy the next stage of your venture.Ps Keep out of those square huts!!
Love Dad xx

  Max Beacom Dec 13, 2008 1:20 AM

4

WOW. What amazing adventures you have been having. Your writing makes wonderful reading. Like your mum i can't imagine how you are going to settle back in to life in little old Adelaide. i hope the remainder of your trip is as exciting and look forward to hearing more of your stories when you are back.

Cheers

Betty

  Betty Ferguson Dec 18, 2008 2:42 PM

About elise_beacom


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ghana

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.