Existing Member?

Between borders We never needed time machines- our minds are seasoned time travelers.

A history of worship

ITALY | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [492] | Scholarship Entry

We walked the streets of Rome for the entire day, looking at all those magnificent creations. The night was still young when we passed Piazza Navona and I thought there could be nothing more beautiful than that big fountain in the middle of the square.

I have never in my life seen such real movements captured forever in stone. The 4 statues of the Fiumi Fountain looked like they were going to come alive and finish the movement they have started centuries ago.

But then we crossed the street and this Pantheon revealed itself and time just stopped at its base. I felt so small in its shadow. Hours passed by me, but I couldn’t leave.

There was a story being told over and over beneath the huge columns of The Pantheon, it was about the history of mankind’s need to worship and be worshiped. And there is no greater monument of human worships that The Pantheon, first a place where gods were worshiped and later emperors and queens. But I guess making people feel small was its purpose.

History though us well I thought, the political Pantheons of today are still serving the same purpose, making people feel small and insignificant infront of those they should worship. And yet, I still stood there infront of The Pantheon, silently worshiping for hours…

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About elenanikolovska

Top of the mountain

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.