Existing Member?

Between borders We never needed time machines- our minds are seasoned time travelers.

The sugary sweet

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [388] | Scholarship Entry

My destination was the city of Lisbon in beautiful Portugal.Upon arrival to Lisbon, you get overwhelmed.This place is beautiful,no matter where you decide to head for a walk.After seeing the entire city,one morning I got up really early and I decided to go for a walk down this narrow,ugly looking street just around the corner from my hotel.At both sides of the street there were traditional old buildings,but then I saw something that looked just like a shop from the 18th century,from the age of kings and queens.Untouched by time.I came closer,it was a candy shop.I went inside and this older Portuguese man greeted me.The place was not just a candy shop,it was where local people eat their breakfast.Ola!,Bom Dia.Bom dia,I replied.He asked me how I found the place and said not many tourists find their way here.I told him I was just walking.He sat me down at a wooden table and said destiny brought me there.Elena was the name of his ancestor who started the candy shop,she was very respected by the king of Portugal.Elena was my name.The local people gathered and told me stories about each of the candies in the shop.With each new taste I got a new story,and as time passed,it felt as if I was sitting in the candy shop somewhere in the 18th century,when old Elena was the owner.The place smelled like sugar and almonds and cocoa.I saw Portugal as if I lived there for centuries.I drank the same wine that was on the king’s table at his wedding and ate the very same almond cake and it felt like home.It was my own personal fairy tale told before my eyes and I never wanted to leave.When all was said, the old candy shop owner,hugged me as I smiled and said goodbye,he looked at me and said-My Elena,never forget that kings fell beneath your feet and trembled at the taste of your cakes.I could never forget what he said,I could never forget my time spent in that candy shop,and ever since,almond cake forever tastes like Portugal.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About elenanikolovska

Top of the mountain

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.