Existing Member?

Central American Adventure

The 8th Wonder of the World

GUATEMALA | Friday, 30 January 2009 | Views [2268] | Comments [3]

Up into the Highlands of Guatemala on a little shuttle bus driven at break neck speed around mountain bends - India people you know the score - praying the driver keeps his eyes open.  From the miradors (vistas) the terrain looked like furry green upside down egg boxes, so many mountains as far as the eye could see. The destination was Lanquin famous for its Caves and nearby Semuc Champey waterfalls a place so beautiful they are claiming it to be the 8th Wonder of the natural world. I settled in at El Retiro, a lodge with several dorms and private cabanas on grassy slopes down to the river.  The place was so relaxing but it lives up to its local name 'Gringolandia'.

The tour to Semuc Champey started with sitting on a swing that went out into the river.  When Elvis the tour guide shouted 'jump!' you had to plunge several metres into the fast flowing waters below.  This was followed a a candle lit tour of the caves, scrambling down rock faces and up underground waterfalls with a candle in hand is no easy feat. We had to swim through dark pools and under tight overhangs with the candles aloft.  I felt like Golum, slipping around in the dark and dank underground world. The caves were follwed by a tubing session which caused great hilarity when one person's innertube made a loud hissing sound and rapidly deflated half way down the river. The next challenge was to jump off a bridge 9 metres above the river.  After refusing to do it several times I eventually decided to do it knowing that it would niggle at me if i didnt. I was shaking before and after and it felt like I was falling forever before I hit the water and was whisked away by the current.  The all action day was topped off by a vigourous climb to the mirador and then relaxing in the stunningly blue aqua pools.

Comments

1

I can't say that I am jealous of your activities because I gave up dangerous sports a long time ago. Actually I don't think I ever did any but your description of the view from the volcano makes me want to be there. Thinking about it have you developed a fettish for volcanos. How many have you been up now; or is it the sulphur? We have just heard news this week that James is signing up for a trip to Central America when he finishes his A levels. He is currently trying to raise the money by lotteries sponsored runs and begging from charities.Only a month before you are back.
Hasta la luego.

  Dad Jan 30, 2009 6:30 AM

2

ele ...... cool you'll be coming to me on the 1st march when you get back, will it be to heathrow?? and what time does your flight get here? as im actually in devon that weekend for bridesmaids dress shopping/fitting with claire and karen, claire is driving me there on the friday night and back on sunday, im not sure what time we will be back, so i need to know your flight time arrival to check ill be back in time!!!???!! i dont want to miss you!!! if youre flight gets in before im back then i can leave keys for you, no probs, yay, enjoy the rest of it, im sure you'll make the most of your last month!! im so jealous!! oh yes, ive been accepted for an interview at roehampton 1th feb so fingers crossed and crabs legs please!! not heard from goldsmiths yet! lol N x

  natasha Feb 1, 2009 9:19 AM

3

i miss you - when are you coming home?

  james Feb 20, 2009 10:22 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.