Existing Member?

Australia 2012

Goodbye Cairns, Hello Melbourne!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 10 February 2012 | Views [699]

Greetings from the “land down under”...

We have left hot, humid Cairns, and have come to “four seasons in one day” Melbourne.

But, before I talk about Melbourne, I need to finish up our stay in Cairns...

 

We finally finished up our cleaning duties for the hostel, and for our last day, decided to do a tour of the rainforest and waterfalls. Little did we know, this was no ordinary tour...

The day starts out at around 8 am, where a bus (whose name is Gus... We’ll get into that later) picks you up right from your hostel. As soon as we got on, our tour guide made it his mission to memorize everyone’s names (which he successfully did). As we drove into the rainforest, our tour guide, Cousin or “Cuz” Rohan, informed us on all of the landmarks and other interesting things about the rainforest and the town of Cairns. He also explained to us that the bus we were driving on was named Gus. Gus the bus had his own personality for sure. He would honk (talk) and Cuz Rohan would translate for us. If you think this sounds odd and random, you’d be right... The whole day was packed full of odd and random things that kept the whole bus laughing. The sights were gorgeous, and swimming in the different waterfalls was a blast! Especially the one where you could actually slide down... He had snacks and juice for us in the morning, and we stopped in a little town for lunch that overlooked the Tablelands (the valley), then at the end of the day we got hot chocolate and more snacks. On our way back home, instead of being exhausted from a long day, he kept us singing and dancing to oldies, and by the time we got back to our hostel, we were buzzing with energy.

It was by far the highlight of my trip so far!

The next day, we hopped on a plane and headed down to Melbourne. We met up with Scot’s Great Uncle Ward on our third day here, and he offered us a room to stay in. So we stayed there for four nights and had lovely meals cooked for us and loads of great information thrown at us. Then we met up with one of Ward’s daughters, Shannon, who offered us a room in her house, which is where I am writing this now. We are so thankful for the hospitality of Ward and Shannon. It really helped us get on our feet again and able to make new plans because once again, we could not find any work.

Because we couldn’t get any jobs, and because our money is running quite low, we have decided to rent a vehicle and drive up the east coast, see the sights, then drive back down to Sydney and then leave back for Canada on March 1.

 

It is disappointing that we won’t be able to see the west, Tasmania, New Zealand, or Asia... But it has been a great trip so far, and it will be nice to be back home as well. And maybe one day we’ll come back and see the rest.

Cheers!

About egjohnson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.