Existing Member?

Australia 2012

Wonderful world of Oz

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 1 January 2012 | Views [727] | Comments [2]

We have arrived!

It was no easy task, it took a very long time, my butt is sore and I feel like I could fall asleep right this second, but we MADE IT! 

Scot and I left Saskatoon airport at 5:50 pm on Dec 30, had a layover in Calgary airport where I finally got to watch National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation" (since I didn't have time to over the holidays), then we were supposed to leave Vancouver at 11:45, but the plane was delayed an hour (these are all local times by the way). The reason they said the flight was delayed was because the plane needed de-icing or something, but we will find out later on that there is something far worse wrong with it. 

Once we left Vancouver, I fell asleep almost immediately. Scot found it hard to sleep on the plane so he didn't get much sleep. I probably slept for at least 8 hours in total, and watched movies and TV for the rest. We were in the air for over 14 hours. There had been some mild turbulence, but nothing too dramatic. The only thing that kind of scared me was when the Captain came over the intercom and told all of the flight attendants to get to their seats right away because it wasn't safe. I was then expecting there to be some crazy turbulence, but nothing happened. We find out later, about an hour before landing in Sydney that one of the hydraulic lines was leaking. So the landing was a bit freaky, because none of us knew what to expect. We did end up landing quite smooth and there was a whole fleet of emergency personnel to greet us, and pull our plane into the loading zone. 

So needless to say, I'm happy to be alive and in sunny Sydney. 

Today we managed to navigate the train system and take ourselves down to Darling Harbor, where we walked around the boardwalk and had fish and chips by the ocean. 

We met a fellow traveller, a really friendly Scottish guy named Duncan, who rode the train with us and shared some great stories and tips. 

Everyone here seems so friendly and nice... Maybe it's the weather?! Whatever the reason, it feels very welcoming, and I really think we are going to enjoy this adventure.

Anyway, I'm going to call it a day, we leave for Brisbane tomorrow morning at 6, so we will need to get a good nights sleep!

Till the next time...

Comments

1

Well Dorothy your not in Kansas anymore! So happy to hear you weathered the trip and made it over to the other side unscathed. I am sure your mom & dad are relieved to hear you are safely on terra firma. Looks like you got a good start. What a beautiful city. Can't to see more pics. Good luck on your next leg.

  Judee Stricklad Jan 2, 2012 1:29 AM

2

Keep the posts coming Elise. It's great to hear about your adventures. Safe travels

  Val and Rick Jan 4, 2012 9:03 PM

About egjohnson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.