Existing Member?

Ed does the AA This the account of Ed Powell, a man in his 20s exploring SE Asia and Auckland. My moto - "Bringing the world together, 1 step at a time"

Bangkok Nights - The Ballad of Teddy in a Tuk Tuk

THAILAND | Thursday, 14 June 2007 | Views [1176] | Comments [5]

Well I'm finally here! I arrived at Heathrow, or as I like to call it, lets do uber security checks just to slow everything down (idiots). When I finally got through the frisks (which I kinda enjoyed) I reached the departure lounge which to my horror, does not have a burger king!!!!!

When boarding my plane I was impressed by the choice of films at my fingertips - Groundhog Day and About A Boy to name a couple. When it came to viewing a film I was tied between "Becoming Jane" a period piece based on Jane Austin and her life, or "Shooter", a film based on a sniper veteran pissed off at the military asked to come out of retirement to help stop a plot to kill the president. Needless to say I picked the latter and it was great. Marky Mark Wahlberg strutting his stuff really passes the time.

So I eventually arrive at Bangkok airport. Well its a stark difference to Heathrow - Artistically designed, air-conditioning and quick turn-around with baggage. I was impressed. The only thing that comes close to the speed in which my luggage arrived is at the Quench gig I did in Kiel (Germany for you un-educated plebs) at Hamburg airport - (zugarden, schnell - I don't know how to spell.

As soon as I was off the plane I was on a bus heading to Bangkok. Where in Bangkok I did not know, but I hoped it would stop at my B&B-It did. My B&B (praise the lord) had aircon and a tv (which means I can watch the US Open) as well as a warm shower. RESULT.


On my first evening I wandered around like a fish out of water but found a great place to have a few beers (50P each) and read the book my bro gave me - wild at heart (amazing read so far, cheers Tom).

Today bought a different scenario - the tuk tuk. Some how a gentle stroll ended in me in the back of a tuk tuk cruising around Bangkok.

A "tuk tuk" for anyone who does not know is a 3-wheeled vehicle that is like a go-cart on the open road with a roof. Thrashing through the back roads of Bangkok, not knowing where I was heading was an experience I shall never forget. I ended up at a palace thingy where some woman was chanting (thats right a woman. I'm not being sexist but I though monks were men) over a PA system and in the background you could hear Whitney Houston singing the theme tune from the bodyguard - very deep I thought. A giant buddha with Whitney in the background. Very surreal, Shame it wasn't Whitneys over clasic Queen of the night - that would have put the cat amongst the buddhist pigeons.

Anyway I'm amazed at the buildings here. You have poverty side by side with the rich temples - whats that all about. Don't wanna be controversial but surely any religion should have some sort of social action involved where the rich (well any sort of class or above) give and help the poor. It doesn't happen over here.

So I'm still cruising around on the tuk tuk when he drops me off at a suit shop and ushers me in. I was not really sure what was going on but the guy was adament I was going to buy a suit. Boy did he have a shock when he was given the hudson glare. The hudson glare for those who don't know is a look I inherited from my mother which scares the living sh*t out of anyone - not many have seen it. Needless to say I left the shop without a purchase.

Marie my fellow Bridgie (God Bless the free land of Somerset) campatriot joined me today, and we have just returned from beer and thai food where I have earnt several hairs on my chest due to the spicey food. Another thing I noticed tonight (I know this is all random) is to Al "big fan" Hoggs delight, they all drive hiluxes - crazy!!

Anyway, time is up on the meter. I'm sure grammatically this is terrible(thats 6.4% chiang beer for you), but hey untill next time, this is Bangkok nights signing off.

Whats next,


Ed

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Good report Ed - perhaps ought to change the heading though - Ballad!! Take care M & D

  Powell Management - Spelling Department Jun 15, 2007 7:38 PM

2

The book gets better. Your grammar does not.

  Tom Seaborn-Powell Jun 16, 2007 3:43 AM

3

Ed, Great to hear your news-so can't wait til you get here. Gracie is just itching to meet her Uncle Ted. Weather is getting colder so make the most of the warmth!
love ya lots xxx

  Laura Kingsly-Smith Jun 16, 2007 6:03 PM

4

It's no good sitting there watching the golf, get out there boy!!! Paul is a phone call away.

  Vicky Lewis Jun 19, 2007 7:18 PM

5

Did you see any ladyboys in Bangkok? I don't find them attractive, I'm just curious.

Aha

Sir Alan of Partridge

  Alan Partridge Jul 21, 2007 8:13 PM

About edd_powell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.