Existing Member?

Ellen & Dot's Vietnam Adventure

Saigon to Hanoi and everything inbetween!

USA | Sunday, 14 November 2010 | Views [272] | Comments [1]

So, now I'm in Hanoi, capital of Vietnam!  Busier, crazier, and more scooters than Saigon!  Can that be possible?  In case your wondering, here are somethings you can carry on your scooter: dozens and dozens of eggs, dogs in a cage, chickens or ducks tied on strings, about four people, large plates of glass,  many bunches flowers, oh could go on but you get my drift.  So, I'll tell you a bit about the inbetween.  Hoi An was a lovely small city.  Once an old merchant town, where Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese merchants came to trade.  There are small lanes, lots of shops, and many very old homes. Some of the homes are about 300 years, and still inhabited by the 8th generation family members. You can visit and feel as if you were in Hoi An during the merchant days.  It's quite nice.  Also, did a great day trip to My Son.  This is a world heritage site that was once inhabited by the Cham people at about the 4th century.  Although most of the temples are in ruins, some bombed by US B52's, it is quite a beautiful area.  Set in the wooded green valley surrounded by mountains, you could understand why the Cham tribe decided to build a temple site in this location. Along the way we made a quick stop and China Beach in Danang, famous not only for the TV show, but where the American GI's took their of R & R.  The deserted military base is still there, too. In order to arrive a these locations, had the pleasure of two overnight trains.  Headed off to Halong Bay and it is beautiful. The Bay is full of tall mountainous outcroppings, and caves.  I spend the night on a junk. Yes, it's a boat. It was very relaxing at sea, and ate lots of seafood, shrimps, crab, squid, tilapia, and clams. It was a great ending to the holiday! Well, tommorrow I may go visit Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum.  I still haven't had my feet and fish massage.  Maybe in Hanoi?

Comments

1

Sounds sooo interesting!!! Have you met ant interesting people on the journey? BTW we miss you !!!

  Julia Nov 14, 2010 11:38 PM

About eboliek

on the mekong

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.