Existing Member?

Ellen & Dot's Vietnam Adventure

Saigon, Scooters, and ....

USA | Tuesday, 9 November 2010 | Views [290] | Comments [2]

We had an early morning wake up call and it was off to the Chu Chi tunnels (gucci).  First, I'd like to give you and idea of what the city of Saigon is like.  Oh, there are scooters, motorbikes, and more scooters.  Well, approximately 8 million people live in the city and another 2 million commute to and work in the city.  Yes, and they are all driving scooters and motorbikes. There is a technique to crossing  the street in Saigon, 1. dont run, 2. don't stop suddenly, 3. go slowly, 4. keep moving! If you think the solution is staying on the sidewalk.... oh, they drive their scooters on the side walk too, so watch out! 

Well, driving out of the city on the way to the tunnels, we passed some lovely parks. Around the perimeter of the park all types of exercise equipment was being used by local people. Some young people were even dancing under a pavillion. Anyway, about 2 hours later we arrived at the Chu Chi tunnels. Chu Chi is the name of the village were these tunnels were dug.  The Vietnamese people began digging these tunnels in the 1950's during the French & Vietnamese War. The tunnels were a hiding place for Vietnamese people without identification.  The tunnels were used again in 1960's during the American war.  Approximatley 200 kilometers in length, these tunnels were dug with handtools at night at a rate of about 1-2 meters a day by the local village people. The main compositon of the earth in this area is clay, which provided the strength necessary to prevent collapse of the tunnels.  The Vietnamese not only hid in the tunnels but they cooked, had medical facilities, and storage areas.  The Americans had a base around this whole area and used many techniques to try to flush the Vietnamese out, they couldnt, so then they just began overall indiscriminate bombing using B52's of the whole area.  It's really tragic... Well, now after watching a brief video about the American war and the effects on the area you can climb down into the tunnels and crawl through. Of course, I had to do it.. Dark, damp, claustraphobic, silent.... I can't imagine spending extended periods of time down in these tunnels, but I guess you do what you need to in order to survive.  Actually, I escaped at the first opportunity!  After, you can walk over to the shooting range and shoot off a around on a AK 47 or M16.  I didn't.

Next, we traveled back to Saigon.  I decided to head to the War Remnant Museum. As, I was walking up the steps to the entrance a women was walking out in tears.  I knew this was going to be tough. The museum had three floors of imagery that is deeply disturbing, sad, and tragic. Images of the devestating effects the war had on people of Vietnam and their environment. This was a very difficult place.  Outside, on the grounds of the museum are massive American tanks, Chinook helicopters, military planes, and a variety of war ordances. I hooked up with some of the other people in my group and headed off to the Presidential palace.

Comments

1

HEY GIRL WOW THAT SOUNDS TOTALLY COOL. CANT WAIT TO READ SOME MORE

  RENEE Nov 9, 2010 3:52 AM

2

well...what do you say ...so sad what humans do to each other and for what ??? What is on the menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner ?

  Julia Nov 14, 2010 12:59 AM

About eboliek

on the mekong

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.