Existing Member?

Postcards Home

Final Day of Middle East Madness

EGYPT | Wednesday, 7 November 2012 | Views [231]

Day 19 - TUE - 2/10/12 - Cairo, Egypt

After having a decent brekkie of bread rolls, jam,juice, boiled egg and cheese we set off for the post office and Egyptian Museum.

The post office was on Ramsis Street which is one of the main ones headed to Tahrir Square and hence one of the busiest! We found the post office easily enough but thought to add a couple more things to the packages so held onto them with the intention to return later in the day.

We stopped for a fresh made pomegranate and cane sugar from a corner shop that sold the juice in glass tumblers that you drank there - delicious!!

The Egyptian Museum was quite overwhelming so we got out the Lonely Planet and hit up their list of which included the Tutankhamen area. It was absolutely incredible to see the burial mask, all the jewellery from the tomb, as well as the mummy encasement (the mummy and sarcophagus are still in his tomb in The Valley of The Kings in Luxor), the encasement around that one,the 4 gold boxes from around the sarcophagus (think Russian babushka doll set up), his organ vases and all the goods and chattels placed with him in his tomb - it was absolutely incredible but again tinged with a bit of sadness and a hope that future generations will preserve it now that it has been dug up.

After the museum we headed back to the bakery and stocked up on some more pizza and some amazing biscuits for the journey to Kenya. We then went back to the hostel to write some great vintage postcards we had found and asked what time the post office shut. We were advised 4:00, it was 4:30pm... :( Never mind, we would try again in Kenya!


After Skype messaging the taxi and Kearnsy had managed to get a quick call to camp Karen in Kenya we had our fingers crossed that there will a taxi waiting for us when we arrive at 3am.

We were all ready to hit peak hour traffic to get to the airport for 9:30pm to catch our flight for Kenya, Africa. PS. It was chaos but we made it with no stress and plenty of time to spare. Probably the first time I had been on the other side of that situation for an airport experience.

About eastbound


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.