Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Puerto Natales

CHILE | Saturday, 21 March 2015 | Views [393]

After a three hour bus ride we arrived at Puerto Natales.  This is where we are to prepare for our four day hike in the Torres del Paine National Park.  When we arrived we checked in to the Capitan Eberhard hotel and then went for a walk around the town to get our bearings.  The hotel was right on the waterfront, a really great spot. Fantastic views across to the mountains where we are going tomorrow.  Our room also had a seaview and sunset view as well as a double bed ( Aimie let me have it, really so luxurious!). The water is actually the sea - the pacific ocean.  There were plenty of comorants and black necked swans around. Lunch was at El Bote, another seafood restaurant.    Again there were plenty of monuments around, one of which was a monument to the wind. Patagonia is well known for its extreme winds and some of the towns are listed in the top 5 windiest places, but none of them beat Wellington!!!

After this we had a few hours to get things we needed for the hike - water, snacks, chocolate (very important...) We also met our guide for the park ' Cem, from Turkey.  He told us all what we could expect. A couple of hours were spent organising the backpack and decidind what to put in my daypack and what to take in my 2.5kg allowance that the porters will carry.  A long phonecall to Kay and then bed. 

 

 

Tags: on the road, sunset, town

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.