Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Punta Arenas

CHILE | Friday, 20 March 2015 | Views [290]

A 10.30am sky airline flight had us arriving in Punta Arenas by lunchtime.  There was a definite difference in temperature here - windy, cold (around 7 degrees probably) and raining, so the layers and waterproof came out.

We checked in to hostal oro fueguino then went for a light lunch. We went for a walk around with Federico, who was pointing out the main square, all the monuments and explaining the opinions in Argentina of the Falklands (Las Malvinas).  We walked along the waterfront - the Strait of Magellan. There were also some nice viewpoints on the hill looking down at the city.

A few of us then visited the cemetery which is one of the <highlights> (this is meant to be inverted commas but I cant figure out the keyboard!).  This was my first experience of a South American cemetery.  The masoleums are impressive, its like being in a little town with littlestreets and little houses. 

Dinner was at restaurante la marmita - mushroom lasagna with a bottle of Patagonian Austral beer.

Tags: city

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.