Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Melbourne with a Friend

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 3 March 2015 | Views [343]

Today I met Simone, a friend from the lap of Tassie tour.  After coffee at Federation square we we went to ACDC, hosier and rutledge lane for more street art and paid a visit to the National Gallery of Victoria, Ian Potter Gallery which houses Australian art.

We then went on a walk through the Birramung Marr park to the botanic gardens.  A few hour were spent there, enjoying the sun and vast array of beautiful gardens and trees with a picnic (nutella sandwich, backpacker food!) After this our walk led us to the war memorial, which we just happened across. This war memorial was great, we got good views of the gardens and surrounding areas from the top of the building, but the best thing was the museum in the basement which was full of information, pictures and items related to all the wars of the 20th and 21st century. 

Next we took a tram to St Kildas where we refuelled with a happy hour taco, nachos and beer.  We watched the sunset at the beach and then stayed until around 9pm to see the penguins returning to the pier.  We only saw about 7 or so, as they were in their malting season and apparently dont go out.

We got the tram back to Flinders st and were exhausted after a very long and busy day!

 

 

Tags: beach, city

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.