Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Exploring Melbourne

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 2 March 2015 | Views [315]

Sunday afternoon I met my friend Mays who recently moved to Melbourne with her boyfriend. We drove to St Kilda's beach and walked up the waterfront and the St Kilda's pier. A very tanned sunbathing man asked us if we wanted to see a penguin and pointed one out in between the rocks of the breakwater.  We then explored the Sunday Craft Markets, briefly checked out the old fashioned fairground Luna Park and then stopped for chippies at the Mammy's chip shop - proper chips with plenty of vinegar - yum!

Back in the city I went for an evening stroll along flinders st to the station and over the bridge to southbank.  I then returned along the yarra river and the pedestrian bridge.  

Today I first explored Federation Square and the wharf before walking over the bridge to Southbank and visiting the Flash! exhibition at the Melbourne Arts Centre. I then spent a few hours in the National Gallery of Victoria International. I then did the lonely planet walking tour and explored some of the laneways - the street art in hosier lane, union lane and croft alley.  After stopping for a bite to eat in a cafe on little bourke street and a Melbourne coffee (Wellington is just as good) I returned to the Parliament building to join a free tour. I then continued the walk which took me through Chinatown and back through royal and block arcade, centre place and degraves street via a few little boutique shops, Haighs chocolate shop for a few of their chocolate frogs and drooling in the window of Hopetoun tearooms which had the most amazing array of beautiful cakes.   I would definitely like to go back for afternoon tea, but choosing the cake is going to be a problem! 

Tags: city

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.