Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

A Day on the West Coast

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 24 February 2015 | Views [327]

This morning our first stop was the lake at Tullah.  The mist was just clearing and created a beautiful effect on the water.  We were lucky enough to see a platypus swimming along as well!

We drove past the extinct town called Williamsford, an old mining town and did a 3 hour bush walk up to the Montezuma falls.  The highest waterfall in Tasmania at 104m. On the way back we sawa blue tongue lizard which Jacob picked up for us to hold. 

From here we drove on to Strahan where we had lunch and a look around. There was a nice view point where you could look out at the macquarie harbour, and the huon pine sawmill which created a pleasant smell in the air. 

Jacob got carried away dancing while driving, Lady Gaga's Bad Romance was a particular highlight! I'm not sure how we managed to stay on the road with his crazy and fast driving! 

The afternoon was spent jumping off sand dunes at Henty Sand dunes. With competitons for who could jump the farthest and lots of beers were bet! Also avoiding the nasty jack jumper ants. 

From here we stopped off at Zeehan briefly and then returned to Tullah.  A few of us had a lovely afternoon swim in the heavily tanined lake.  It was quite warm and in beautiful forested surroundings.  Jacob disappeared and then swung out on a rope from the trees like some kind of Tasmanian Tarzan!

Dinner was a chicken burger and pint of Boags in the local pub across the road.   

Tags: beach, on the road, walk, waterfall

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.