Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

Tullah to Launceston via Cradle Mountain

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 25 February 2015 | Views [355]

This morning we drove to the Cradle Mountain National Park.  Here we did a 3 hour walk up to Marion's lookout.  This was a steep and rough climb which had a chain to help clamber up the steep sections, but it really wasn't hard.  We walked back in a loop down past wombat pool to the dovel lake car park.  This was a great walk and had spectacular views! Although the cloud had been over the mountain when we were at the lookout, it did clear before we left so we were able to see the jagged teeth at the top of the mountain.  

From here we passed through Sheffield the town of murals.  We were able to see some murals that were eneterd in to the mural competition, as well as numerous murals on the buldings and houses in the town.  There was a delightful fudge shop here where you could taste every single flavour - I think gingerbread or lemon meringue were my favourites! We also looked in breifly atthe marble world. 

From here we went to do honey tasting at Chudleigh.  Again you could try all the different honeys, of which there were many! They had nutty honey (almond was the best), fruit honey (close between lemon and strawberry) as well as manuka and many other different types (my favourite was leatherwood but banksia was good too). The leatherwood ice cream was delicious. 

After this our gourmet afternoon continued at 41 degrees south salmon farm where we were able to taste the smoked salmon and ginseng. We passed by the beautiful Mt Roland and stopped at a lookout. 

After this we continued on to Launceston where we visited the cataract gorge.  An interesting area with a few short walks, a suspension bridge and the chairlift across the basin, and some peacocks. 

The night was spent at Launceston backpackers.  After dinner Jacob took us on a pub crawl.  I made it to the Irish Murphy's for a pint then to the cider house for cider tasting before heading back to bed before midnight! 

Tags: city, food, mountains, walking

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.