Existing Member?

The Long Journey Home Mountains, rivers and lakes. Sun, sea and sand. Rain, ferns and Kiwis. Snow, ice and glaciers. Tramp, trail and road run. Adventure....

The bottom of New Zealand

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 9 February 2015 | Views [312]

Today I left Queenstown in the morning, dropping off Kay at the airport.  A couple of hours later I pulled in to Invercargill.  As it was a nice day I carried on to Bluff until SH1 ran out at Stirling Point. 

I drove to the lookout at the top of the hill and saw Stewart Island in the distance, the island with the lighthouse which was featured in the program 'South' and the Southern coastline stretching away. 

From here I drove through the quite empty and remote Caitlins to Owaka.  Kaka Point and Nugget Point weren't too far away so I spent a couple of hours exploring there. 

I saw a sea lion on the beach, lots of seals and a yellow eyed penguin from the hide at roaring bay.  I walked up to the lighthouse and got good views of the rugged coastline.  

Just as I was getting back to the car it started raining and then as I drove back along the 9km dirt road with the sea to my right I had the best view of a very bright double rainbow out at sea. 

I returned for the evening at Thomas's, a very strange old 'haunted house'. Despite stories of a ghost in the other wing, I survived the night in my empty room with nothing untowards happening! 

Tags: beaches, wildlife

 

About e_c_whittome


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.