Existing Member?

Kim, Col & Casey in South America Living it up on a South American west-side adventure!

The fight to regain travel normality...

PERU | Sunday, 19 October 2008 | Views [643] | Comments [2]

Back in Lima, Peru and almost on track.  We've not done so bad really.  After KC discovered his passport lost while down near Arequipa, we managed to file a police report, bus 15 hours to Lima (through Nazca and Ica), get him some passport photos, lodge a temporary passport application, rush back to Ica and Nazca for originally intended activities, and now return again to Lima ready to collect KCs new temporary passport on Monday.  Pat on the back for all involved that we are not drastically behind our original schedule at this point.

Unfortunately, our schedule is sadly lacking in accuracy. We are still tight on time though.  If we leave Lima on Monday with KCs new temporary passport, then we'll have about 15 days to get out of Peru, pass through Ecuador, visit Colombia, and get on the plane in Bogota for  our next return to Lima.  During that 15 days, we have 4 days just on the Lost City Trail an Indiana Jones style trek through the jungle to recently discovered and overgrown jungle ruins.  We had also hoped to get in a visit to the Amazon Jungle (the "real" jungle) in Ecuador, as well as some white water rafting.  But if we took another 4 days for those 2 activities in Ecuador (which may not actually be enough time to do them properly), then we're down to only 7 days.  And we were planning to bus it all the way!

Given its Lima---(9hrs)---Trujillo---(5hrs)---Piura (on top of which we must add time for Cartagena on the way) and that doesn't quite get us to the Ecuador boarder.  So lets just presume for the minute that we can be in Ecuador by Friday 24th.

That leaves 10 days before we fly out of Bogota, Colombia toward Lima, Peru.  During this time, we have to travel by bus north across Ecuador and Colombia to the northern beach of Colombia, chill on the beaches and do the 4 day lost city trek.  Frankly, we're shagged.

So now the debates will begin...  what do we skip?  Equador entirely?  The Lost City trek?

On a lighter note, we had a great time in Ica and Nazca.  Ica is a little oasis in the midst of massive sand dunes.  So we jumped in a dune buggy, raced across the dunes, and jumped onto sand boards for our first sand boarding experience.  It was great.  The dune buggy was as fun as the dune boarding itself.  We also climbed about 20 minutes (very hard work) up a massive dune above the hostel to watch the sunset, then ran full pelt down the dune in about 20 seconds.  That was exhilarating!

And the Nazca Lines were awesome.  We were the only 3 passengers in a single engine airplane, arcing around above the different aspects of the Nazca lines, which are massive symbols to the gods, marked in rock by the Incas.  The monkey was the best, but there were heaps of other impressive ones.  Will have to try to put up photos shortly.

I have been on the Internet too long and should share it around some.  In summary, my voice is still completely lacking any semblance of high notes, and I am still coughing frequently and harshly.  Ran into some boys that said heaps of people in Cuzco had the same thing (which makes sense, because I'm sure I got it from the American girl Kara, who had only just left Cuzco when we met her).  These guys said it had them for about 15 days, and losing voice is common.  That sucks hardcore, because I'm only on day 10 of it now.  I am so hoping I get over it soon.  Traveling around is all about talking to and drinking with people, and I am unable to do either of those things properly like this. Ba!  Stichy McPain should be able to remove his stiches soon, and Mucho Rashy is looking a little more normal and says he is feeling a lot less itchy.

Anyway, enough of that.  I'm off to try and figure out what to do next.  Hope all is well with everyone.  I'll try to get some more photos up soon, although I must admit to being disappointed with no comments thus far on the last lot!  Have you all seen them?

AND A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PEEBS!!!!!!!  I know its not actually your birthday today man, but it is the first chance I got to throw it in.  Hope you had a good one.  I will have a birthday session with you when I get back!

All the best,

Col

 

Comments

1

so much to see & do, so little time...
Sounds an awesome trip, and you know if all things went to original plans it wouldn't be so much fun.

  dave Oct 23, 2008 6:06 PM

2

Oh no! Bad news about your voice and KC's passport! This travel journal thing is cool

  Heather Oct 25, 2008 5:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.