Existing Member?

WannaBeAKiwi "Life is a garden...dig it"

Akaroa

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 11 September 2007 | Views [454] | Comments [1]

So I spent the weekend with my flatmate Alice and her bf and his mates in Akaroa.  Its this tiny, french village located in a bay southeast of Christchurch.  The drive to Akaroa was beautiful.  You drive through some farm land with the Southern Alps off to the west.  This was the New Zealand you see in movies and pictures. 

To get to Akaroa we had to drive over a large hill, what we could consider a mountain by Arizona standards.  Alice has a mini cooper so the switchbacks were a piece of cake.  Almost felt like I was riding a roller coaster for a bit.  At the top of the hill is a great cafe with an even better view.  We stopped for a beer before heading back down the hill to Akaroa.

Akaroa is a great little town.  Plenty of character and sites to see.  We hired a house for the night and had a great bbq.  We went into town at night to watch the All Blacks at the local pub.  Needless to say they were dominant.  On the walk in we stumbled upon a seal sleeping on the beach.  Alice's bf, concerned for the seal, started yealling at the seal, telling it to get back in the water.  It was one of the funnier things I've ever witnessed.  The seal got pretty pissed off and started yelling back and then a woman staying at the B and B across the street got mad and started yelling at the both of them.  Akaroa was great.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

OH!!! Davers, did you know it is one of my life's goals to get that close to a seal? I love them- they are so weird and slug-like!

I just got an email from mom today and she seems to be doing pretty well- she is so proud of you (and we are too!)

-Bekah

  Bekah Sep 12, 2007 2:34 AM

About dsaltsman


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.