Existing Member?

Prelude to a Nap Even hardcore nappers must delve into occasional interludes of activity.

Day Two in Tasmania.

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 23 July 2007 | Views [548] | Comments [2]

Today we visited Seahorse World and the Platypus House in Beauty Point, Tasmania.

The Seahorse world was interesting, but maybe not worth the cost of admission. There were a large number of varied seahorses who were interesting to watch for a few minutes. Their tails are prehensile and they seemed to be fond of grabbing one another with their tails. The best part of the exhibit was the various other sea creatures in the last room. The puffer fish with his giant fluffy lips, and some nasty squid-like fish. They didn't allow photos, so while it was a moderately educational visit, it wasn't terribly memorable.

Next we went to Platypus House, which was quite a fair bit more entertaining. Here they allowed videos and pictures without flashes, but the Platypus enclosures themselves were far too dark to get much of an image to come through. The Echidnas were infinately more exciting in that regard, as you ca see from the attached movie. We got to stand in a room with 3 of them while they wandered about and ate food. They were incredibly cute.

Our day wrapped up with a caluflower and cheese pie from a local bakery. Pies are very big inAustralia, but I did't like the traditional beef version. The cauliflower version was quite tasty, though I find the pastry crust to be difficult to eat without making an incredible mess.

My feet have blisters from days of walking about, and my knees are bruised and sore from an unfortunate fall onto some bricks. I'm glad tomorrow is Tuesday, I think I'll take it easy and have a restful day at home. Maybe the jet lag will diminish somewhat with persistant napping (which I am fairly decent at).

Tags: Adventures

Comments

1

Where's day Three? o.O

  Wes Jul 26, 2007 1:02 AM

2

When are you going to write more?

  Mom Jul 30, 2007 9:18 AM

About drowsykitten


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.