Existing Member?

Prelude to a Nap Even hardcore nappers must delve into occasional interludes of activity.

First Real Day in Tasmania.

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 22 July 2007 | Views [611] | Comments [1]

Today we had a lovely morning walk in the foggy Launceston City Park. They've got a whole giant enclosure with gobs of little monkeys, right there in the park! We watched them for a bit. You can find a video of them right at the top of this entry.


Next we had some pictures of trees. There was also a little child's loo (loos are toilets I'm told). It was very cute with the tiniest little toilet I've ever seen. I took a video of that as well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4hf8XCbzaA

Later in the day we went to the Quadrant Mall and had an adventure with giant muffin monstrosities. They've got amazing pastries here. This one had blueberries and a huge dollop of yogurt on top. They served it on a plate with a massive portion of whipped cream. It was truly divine.


We also visited the grocery. I'm sad to report that the Launceston version of the dollar store is really dreadful. Everything is $2 or more, and most of it is -way- more than that. For being so expensive, it's the same cheap crap you buy in most US dollar stores. Tomorrow maybe I'll visit some thrift stores to see how they compare to US thrift stores.

At the grocery I found that they had a massive variety of candy and pastries as well as dehydrated convenience foods. So far I've tried Raspberry Tim Tams (chocolate coated hard little rectangular cookies with a bit of raspberry in the middle), Lamingtons (a sort of angel food cake coated in chocolate and coconut), a Cadbury Flake chocolate bar (coy marketing ploy for putting less chocolate in more space and charing double for it), and some Cadbury Honeycomb and Chocolate Crunchie ice cream (some decidedly bland but incredibly sweet ice cream concoction).

My overall conclusion is that it's very beautiful here but there's a decided lack of ice cream variety and no drier sheets.

There are pictures of everything to the right in my photo galleries.

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

Hope you're having fun!

  Wes Jul 23, 2007 4:24 PM

About drowsykitten


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.