Existing Member?

drifting_with_dervla Are We There Yet?

My First Blog!

USA | Friday, 30 May 2008 | Views [292]

I've decided to set up a blog to easily relay info/pictures to all my friends and family whilst overseas. And as this is my first stab at attempting to keep such a detailed daily record, bear with me!

As most of you know, I have decided to return to Southeast Asia solo to do some independent research, collect video and stills for the SVA conference next year, as well as visit a few universities to see if doing grad school over there is a possibility.

The trip starts July 8th when I fly from San Diego to Los Angeles to Taiwan and then on to Singapore. From there, I will be flying to Denpasar, Bali where I plan on touring the entire island's collection of temples as well as enjoying the daily processions and festivities of the religious season. However, I will also be traveling to nearby Lombok Island where first cousin arranged marriages and public circumcision still reigns! huzzah! Lombok Island is where I will be looking at folk music and religion and is truly what I am most excited about as it is one of last few technology-free spaces on earth. After about a month in Indonesia, I'm going to have to head to Kuching (Malaysia) for a few days (visa drama) and then re-enter the country. Apparently I'll be amongst the Borneo headhunters, so I'll really have to watch me neck, hah! I don't really have an itinerary or fixed plan, but since I am going on my own, I am sure I can wing it and adjust depending on what I want to see more (or less) of as I will be doing a ton of ethnomusicology-related research and video/still gathering. After my time in Indonesia, I will be stopping off in Tokyo, Japan for a bit, and then it will be back to the grind.

If anyone is interested in meeting up for part of this or has some contact overseas, definitely send a shout my way!


always.

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.