Existing Member?

namaste' my journey...

Bangkok ::: Thailand

THAILAND | Sunday, 2 November 2008 | Views [524] | Comments [1]

Toydo Airport and Bangkok

After traveling 13+ hours we land in toyko airport.  While on the plane from detriot I saw this girl (a little loud) and had a feeling that she might just be going  to Bangkok.  In the airport we have an hour layover so I decide to get a beer and relax.  I sit down by myself and see the girl from the plane walk by with another girl.  They don’t sit next to me, damn! I want to try to talk to them now I don’t know.  So I sit there drinking my beer when this asian woman sits down next to me.  We start to chat and she is on her way to Malaysia for her mom’s funeral.  She has died and sudden death.  I give her my condolences and we continue to talk. Since she is a native of Malaysia she tells me of some great places I should go to when I am there.  She finishes her noodle soup we say our goodbye ad she leaves.  Here I am sitting alone again.  Now a gentleman with yogurt and H2O sits down next to me.  We look at each other a few times then I say hello.  We begin to talk.  His name is David.  He is originally from England but has been living in san fran for the past 20yrs.  As we talk he tells me that is going to be living in Thailand for the next few years.  He is here to build a retreat in northern Thailand.  I tell him what I am doing and that I will be hopefully couchsurfing a lot of my trip.  When I say couchsurfing wouldn’t you know who yells,”couchsufing I know that!”  Yup the girl from the plane.  So she comes over to join us.  The three of us continue chatting and I ask if they know where they will be staying in bkk and they have no idea.  I tell them that I have a few places in mind and even have print outs of them.  They both decide that they are going to come with me to Rambuttri Village Inn.  We board the plane and David sits in his seat and Doris (the girl) and I decide to see if we can sit together.  A lady agrees to switch with me so Doris and I are now next to each other.    Doris and I chat for most of the 3 hour trip.  I tell her that I am traveling alone and so is she so we decide that maybe we will travel together some of the way…I am feeing good now.  We land in bkk around 1am and the 3 of us share a cab to the hotel it costs 100bht per person..  Doris jumps in the front and David and I get in the back.  The entire ride there Doris is asking the cabby how to pronounce different phrases in thai and David and I chat in the back.  I ask him what kind of retreat he is there to build and he tells me a yoga one.  I am so impressed.  We discuss how yoga has changed our lives.  He says that his yogi had asked him to come and at first he was nervous and didn’t know how he would do it so his yogi said to him forget it you are not ready.  After about a week he finally writes him crying while doing so asking his yogi to please let him come.  His yogi is so pleased and says yes now you are ready and get it.  So he packed up his life in san fran and here he is.  I ask david if it possible for me maybe to come and help build and he doesn’t think I will be a problem he is going to ask and will email to let me know. We arrive at the Inn around 2am and say our goodnights and decide we will meet around noon the next day for lunch.  I go to my room and can not sleep…I think it is all the excitement plus the time changes.  I turn on the tv and watch amazing race asia and they are in Thailand…no way…so I get to see some of what I will be seeing soon. 

 

The next morning there is a knock on my door and it is Kelly she has arrived.  I left a not for her at the front desk telling her what room I am in. I am excited to see her.  She joins the 3 of us the next day. 

We meet at noon like planned and go eat on khao san rd.  My first thai meal.  I have veggie pad thai yum! Now Khao San rd is the back packers ghetto.  You can get anything you want there from fake ids to dreads in your hair.  They have everything cheep.  DVDs music clothes you name it you can get it.  We walk up and down here for a bit.  David has to go so we say our goodbyes and then Doris Kelly and myself head off to go the weekend market.  Wow it is crazy.  Miles and miles of people selling everything you could want.  We walk around here for most of the day.  We later get some food and then turn in for the night.  The next day we are going to meet to go to the Grand Palace and to Wat Pho.  We spend the entire day walking around both of these places and around Bangkok.  We decide that the next day we are going to head down to the islands for some sun.  Krabi here we come.  That night we take the night train from BKK to down to Surat Thani from there we get on a bus to Krabi.  Then we talk a longtail over to Ton Sai...happy long trails...
reclining buddha

reclining buddha

 

Comments

1

I love that you are on such a magical journey. I will be following you every step of the way!

npk

  Nicole Kelly Nov 23, 2008 12:18 AM

About drea72


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.