Existing Member?

Istanbl Grand bazarre : Modern History of World Trade

Early Morning across the Galata Bridge

TURKEY | Monday, 7 January 2013 | Views [1058]

Galata Bridge/ looking to Sultanahmet

Galata Bridge/ looking to Sultanahmet

With the early morning sunrise comes song, bellowing from loudspeakers across the city of Isanbul, brining good tidings and a signal for the start of the day. I was luckey enough to be staying in a place directly across from one of thse speakers and never missed a chance to be up at sunrise, although after a few days it becomes natural. One particular early morning in late December i was awoken by the song from a nearby mosque and decided today was the day to vist the Grand Bazaar. A short walk from my residence brought me to the historic Galata Bridge. While one can ride the train across, it seemed more enjoyable to walk across, breathing in deeply the sweet sea air of the Bospherous, listening to he sound and ights of the city comming alive and looking out to Grand bazarre. The bridge itslelf, a rather magnifcent structure was Originally Desiged by Leoardo DaVinci and is somewhat of a famous landmark. All throughout the day and into the night residents and travelers commute across in access to different provinces, along with being a popular spot for fishing off the side or just enjoying a omanti view with a loved one. The Galata Bridge bridge connects the to the old city of Constantinople (now known as Karakoy), to the more modern area of Eminonu in the Golden Horn region. The original Galata Bridge, built in 1845 and known in that time as Crsi-r Cedid, was burnt down for unknown reasons and a new one built immeditely after in its place. Crossing the bridge brings views of the Gand Bazarre, a trade capital where the Western trade roads of Europe meet the Eastern trade route of the Silk Road, along with the last/first stop on the Orient Express.There is a long history of social and politic turmoil in the Golden Horn region beginning with the construction of a Roman city known as Constantinople. After the fall of the Roman empire Constantinople was conquored by the Bizantines and apltly named Bizantum, some time fter the city was again conquored this time by the Turks and became the city seen today, growing and changing with each succssive conquest. In the distance the grand structre of the Yeni Camii, more commonly known as the "New Mosque", can be seen, imposing its influence in the region. The site of the New Mosque was a main trade center with a large Jewish influence and population. In construction of this structure , it was the aim of Sultan Safiye to gain popular support of local and forign merchants who had growing discontent for the Jewish population. Many Jewish people were offered little money or forcibly removed from the area to clear the site for the New Mosque. The mosque would increase Islamic influence and make a statement for the Sultans political office. Interestingly enough, the mosque was burnt down half way through construction and the Sultan soon after died, leaving the New Mosque in a state of ruin until its completion in 1663 by Turhan Hadice with architect Mustafa Aga. The Golden horn region now is a bustling, fast paced cultural trade center of goods, luxuries, ideas and experiences, with many historic sites, a rich history, and culture unto itself. As one Turkish poet described the city as "Rising from the sea".

Tags: galata bridge/ grand bazarre

 

About dramsell


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.