Existing Member?

Doug and Robyn's Vision

Thursday 08.11.2012

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 9 November 2012 | Views [290]

Thursday 08.11.2012

 

Overnight at Coolmunda Dam Caravan Park, we heard only 2 trains - one while we ate tea and the other about 1am. The 3 peacocks squarked on and off all through the night (one of their cries sounds like "help"). Between the intermittent peacocks calls and the plethora of other birds which happily wake up with the dawn (c.4.30am) our sleep could be described as "disturbed". Most other human occupants (at least 6 caravans & 3 cabins worth) were gone by 7.30am, so there was no waiting in the amenities when we had showers after breakfast!

We drove southish passed the dam, through mostly dry scrub, flattish farming country through Limevale to Texas. A lookout a few kms out of town became our lunch spot and it had a narrowish view over Texas and the farmlands towards distant hills. The directions and signpostings weren't great, but we found it.

Crossing the QLD/NSW border just south of Texas, we continued through dry looking farming country through Bonshaw to Ashford. We picked up a few leaflets at the Tourist Information Office which is also the library, Post Office, & Multi Government agencies. Ashford is a small town, with a school, a pub, a garage cum general store, a few shops, a few empty shops, a swimming pool and some nice parks.

We decided to have a look at Kwiambal (pronounced Kigh-am-bal) National Park, about 20kms west and then about 20 north on dirt roads. Afternoon tea was in the picnic area from which we did the short walk to the Macintyre Falls on the Macintyre River. In the picnic area we watched a reasonably large lizard (maybe 750mm long) sniffing his way across in front of us. The falls are minimal at present, but there are some dramatic rocks which could be quite spectacular after rain, except the road in may well be impassable! After another walk to a different lookout, and another down to the rock pool (lots of formed steps but no rails), we drove to Lemon Tree Flat and decided it was to our liking for an overnight stay. It is a picnic/camping area managed by the National Parks & Wildlife Service. It is on the banks of the Severn River, probably 500m long x 75-100m wide, with lots of cleared area under trees and a number of wallabies/kangaroos (a few with joeys hopping near them).

A casual stroll along the length of it revealled a sign we'd not seen on the way in, about how to pay camping fees - that was a surprise as the leaflet we picked up in Ashford said there were no fees! It's only $10 for 2 per night, which is Ok - we were glad we had the right change though. After walking back to the van to get the money, we walked back to put it in the box. Another couple in a camper trailer arrived and set up camp about 100m away. Steps for today only come up to 7,657 and we are hoping for a reasonably early & quiet night.

You will not recieve this until we are back in internet connection zone - no mobile coverage here.

About dougnrobyn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.