Existing Member?

My Life In Argentina and now Mexico

Mendoza, Argentina

ARGENTINA | Tuesday, 15 December 2009 | Views [783]

I went to Mendoza, Argentina for a two-night stay to visit the beautiful landscapes and take a break from the busy, downtown area of Cordoba.  I took an all-day tour with 7 other people and our guide, to see the highest mountain in the western hemisphere called Aconcagua.  In Wikipedia you can read a little bit about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconcagua  This mountain is 22,000 feet high and many mountain climbers have died trying to climb it.  I saw the cemetery where some of the climbers are buried.  Also, we saw the route that General San Martin took when fighting the Spainards for independence for Argentina and Chile.  This area is arid and desert like, it onlys rains 8 inches a year!! (We get 29 inches of rain in Minnesota and that doesn´t include all inches of snow too).  The City of Mendoza has a very intricate watering system...everywhere you look there are special built canals watering all the trees and its water that runs down from the mountains that keeps everything green, otherwise the city would just be a dry, brown, lifeless city.   Also Mendoza is famous for its vineyards, so I visited two wineries that make red wines.  Its the backbone of the economy in this province...it sure makes the landscape beautiful with all those grape plants everywhere!!

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.