Existing Member?

My Life In Argentina and now Mexico

"Monkey Chatters"

ARGENTINA | Sunday, 10 May 2009 | Views [356]

Claudio, Doreen, and Rolando at the park  by the lake in Alta Gracia

Claudio, Doreen, and Rolando at the park by the lake in Alta Gracia

I have been busy getting back into the swing of things here in Cordoba.  I will start teaching English at the Fredrick Institute on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and also I'll be looking for private tutoring opportunities too.  I went out with some friends on Saturday night to a nightclub called SHARKS.  We got there around 2 am and stayed until 5:30 am! That is the normal going out time here.  The usual Saturday night routine here is to have dinner around 11 am with friends, usually at an outdoor patio type restaurant, have drinks and talk, and then at 2 am they go out dancing to the clubs; and surprisingly this is for all ages, not just 20 somethings!  The club I went to, Sharks, is for older patrons, nobody was under 35 years old!  The people here have so much energy, I don't know where they get it.  Got to bed around 6:30 am and only slept until noon, then got up and went directly to a town called Alta Gracia with Rolando and his friend Claudio.  We had lunch, then walked around downtown, and there were sooooo many people out doing the same thing because it was Sunday and that is just what they do....sit around with family and friends at a park, talk, eat, and drink mate (pronounced MAH TEY), which I've mentioned before is the national drink of choice here (its a herbal tea).  We left around 6:30 pm because I wanted to take a nap, I was exhausted from the night before. I took a nap at Rolando's house for about one hour and then at 9:30 pm more friends came over to go out to eat dinner!!!  My brain was spinning from listening and talking 100% in Spanish, nobody I had met on these two days knew a word of English.   Its a full time job in itself learning a language.  The night finally ended at 12:30 AM.  However, my brain always RE PLAYS the days' conversations and I'm always thinking "I wonder what that word meant, or what did that phrase mean, or I hope they understood me, etc. etc.  I like to call these thoughts "monkey chatters."  Uff...make the monkeys go away :-)  

 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.