Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Day 29 Triacastela to Sarria - Lost for the first time!

SPAIN | Sunday, 1 July 2018 | Views [372]

Okay, we knew it would happen, we got lost today and walked about 4+ additional miles to get back on track! In our defense, we were walking up a hill in very dense fog when we missed the marker signalling pilgrmis to take a sharp left to Samos. We started the day in Triacastela in rain, though the forecast was for sunny skies. I always have plenty of rain gear!

  

Lots of ruins remain in Balsa about 3 miles out of Triacastela...still on the route.

  

We may have been distracted by today's wildlife. Mommy hen and a few chicks.

  

Coming down the hill about six miles into our journey and we are wondering why we haven't arrived in Samos yet. Jeff is blissfully unaware that we have lost our way... Oh well, the scenery is stunning! At the bottom of this hill we hit a "T" in the road at which point we realize we're slightly off the trail...about four miles off the trail! Jeff makes his famous remark, "Oh well, the world's round" and off we go using Google maps to find Samos. A minor adjustment. 

Jeff wanted to know if this was a beaver dam we passed on the say back to Samos. I'd really hate to meet up with a beaver who could build that thing! He's a city kid, so we'll give him some slack...

Arriving (finally!) in Samos, population 1,600, we stopped at a cafe for nourishment and saw these beautiful lillies on the patio. Finding one's way back to civilization is thirsty work. A Coca Cola Zero took care of that.

 

The Monastery of St. Julian of Samos was built in the 6th Century, is an active Benedictine monastery and still hosts a pilgrim hospital opened in the 11th Century. According to its website, seven bishops have come from this monastery. It is still inhabitied by the Benedictine monks who provide tours for 3 Euros, or used by groups as a spiritual retreat (http://www.abadiadesamos.com).

  

After leaving Samos we finally arrived on that snow-capped mountain we've shown you pictures of earlier... Just kidding! This is debris from a large stand of cottonwood trees along side the Rio Samos.

 Jeff beside the small falls on the Rio Samos.

The Restaurante Pontenovo about 3 miles outside Samos wasn't yet open, but the delicious smells coming from the building made us want to sit on this patio and wait for lunch.

These flower pots are attached to an ancient wall about five miles outside Sarria. Slate roofs are common this this area of Spain. Many, like this one, are in disrepair, but we see newer homes with beautiful slate roofs as well.

We made it to Sarria!  We'll stay in Hotel Alfonso IX, king of Leon and Galicia from 1188 until his death. Ancestry.com states that 14th Century historian Ibn Khaldun claims Alfonso IX was called Baboso or Slobberer as he foamed at the mouth during fits of rage. Don't think we'll invite him to dine with us tonight...

 

 

 

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.