Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Day 14 Hornillos to Castrojeritz

SPAIN | Tuesday, 12 June 2018 | Views [451]

Manuel made us a great breakfast and then drove us back to town to resume our hike here in Hornillos. There's a legend that pilgrims who soak their feet in the San Bol fountain just outside of Hornillos will be cured of all foot pain. It was filled with algae and who knows what else, so we decided to rely on moleskin, KT tape, Bandaids, and Neosporin. It takes Jeff about 20 minutes to wrap his feet every morning. Time very, very well spent! Of course they look like alien feet (and I don't mean Canadian) when he's done...

I pulled out my rain gear early...

Pilgrims often place rocks atop the camino markers throughout the pilgrimage.

Jeff headed down the hill to Iglesais. 

At the bottom of the hill we came upon this tour van that is driving tourists to see the Camino pilgrimage and pilgrims from the road. Jeff ran up to the van and pressed his nose on the window, waving a hello to the seniors inside. I'm sure they had a good laugh. I know I did!

 Coming into Hontanas. Just up these stairs is a cafe, seven miles into our day and the perfect time for a cafe leche and a Coke Zero.

 

Church in Hontanas. Legend claims that in the 1670s pilgrims were terrorized by packs of wolves who roamed the hills near Hontanas and come out at night to attack weary pilgrims. We didn't see any wolves, but then we didn't hang around after dark either. 

Found this "billboard" funny as we leave Hontanas. The miles are a bit off... There's a muncipal pool just behind this building, but it's definitely not ready for summer swimmers yet. Yucky green!

 Last photo before the rain hit hard and we hiked the last 4 miles to Castrojeritz in mud up to our armpits...only a slight exaggeration. It sticks your shoes/boots like epoxy and feels like you're carrying an additional 4 lbs. on each foot. 

There's an amazing castle atop the hill from Castrojeritz, the Castillo de San Esteban. According to the "Camino de Santiago Village to Village Guide (Dintaman & Landes, 2017) the castle, founded by Julius Caesar, was used by the Romans to protect the roads to the gold mines in Galicia. We were too wet to hike up, and it's not recommended when muddy.

Just outside town we saw the ruins of the magnificent Convento de San Anton, which was constructed beginning in the 11th Century. The Arch was breathtaking. Unfortunately, we couldn't get the camera out in the downpour. St. Anton is the patron saint of animals and people still bring their pets to the site to be blessed on his sanit's day. 

Time to dry out and get some rest in Castrojeritz before tackling the BIG hill just out of town heading for Fromista in the morning.

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.