Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Day 12 Atapuerca to Burgos

SPAIN | Friday, 8 June 2018 | Views [345]

Our hotel from Atapuerca was several miles out of town and required a taxi ride. ...Have you heard the one about the two pilgrims who went into a bar? One pilgrim attempted to phone a taxi and got a recording, in Spanish, of course. After trying the second phone number and receiving another recording, in Spanish, of course, that pilgrim turned to the her companion pilgrim and said "hmmm…" She then began a ridiculous pantomime in an attempt to get assistance from the bartender/patrons, who of course, speak only Spanish. This performace was Oscar-worthy. Pilgrim two decided it was time to disappear to the bathroom, in embarrassment perhaps? Eventually, a patron, likely terrified by the convulsing pilgrim, agreed to call the taxi number and helped the ignorant pilgrims secure their taxi. Pilgrim one, bought that saint (in a bar?) a beer and collecting pilgrim two from his hiding place in the banos, hustled outside to wait for the taxi. Hopefully, nothing will surface on YouTube.

Easy day today, a very flat hike from Atapuerca to Burgos. And it started with Jeff chasing a donut van around the hotel parking lot!

Donut van

It rained all the way to Burgos, population 178, 500, so no photos along the way. We did walk through about 5 miles of industrial park as we entered Burgos. There’s a gigantic Goodyear Tire processing plant on this path. Whew…stinky! Lots of jobs though.

We passed a few funny US-named businesses. Here’s the picture of the Bar Arizona. We also saw a Las Vegas hotel, and a Miami bar.

Bar AZ Burgos

As we near the cathedral area we are walking along this path lined by these beautiful trees. The shrubs are pruned in layers.

Grape trees Burgos DMSshrubs Burgos

As we turn toward the cathedral we see a glimpse of the amazing structure.

street to Cathedral

The cathedral in Burgos, a UNESCO World Heritage site, is the biggest I’ve seen at 139,930 sq. ft. It cannot be captured in one photo without a wide-angle lens. According to the UNESCO website, construction of the cathedral began in the 13th century and was finished in the 16th century. After a 200-year hiatus, work began again, mostly artistic enhancements—for another 100 years. According to UNESCO It is a comprehensive illustration of Gothic style, depicting the history of Gothic art through architecture, paintings, choir stalls, tombs, and stained-glass windows. Retrieved from: https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/316

Cathedral

Cathedral 2

This poster was in the Larruz café in the cathedral square. It’s a busy place of commerce and cathedral visitors.

Cathedral poster 2

We are staying for two nights at the Palacio de Burgos below. Another rest day after 190/500 miles! 

Hotel Burgos

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.