Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Day 8 Logrono to Najera

SPAIN | Monday, 4 June 2018 | Views [478] | Comments [1]

We left Logrono early as we have around 18 miles to go today and of course most of it is uphill! How does that work...seems like the days are mostly uphill. At some point we surely will start down. Seriously, every day is up and down hills--as you would expect in Northern Spain. The La Roija province has installed these unique pilgrim trail markers. 

pilgrim sign leaving Logrono

This wetlands perserve is just west of Logrono. It's adjacent to a campground, the first we've seen. We saw a family of swans, a family of ducks, as well as fish jumping while we walked the perimeter. 

wetlands outside Logrono

It's about 7 miles from Logrono to Navarrete. You can see it there in the distance. We are about five miles out at this point and starting to think about breakfast. We take time to stop every 3-5 miles, if there is a town or cafe. It gives us time to take off our boots, people watch and sip a cafe con leche. And of course if there is bread or pastry, we dive on that. One of the benefits of walking up and down hills all day is you can pretty much eat whatever you want!  

Jeff overlooking Navarrete

Ruins of the Hospital de San Juan de Acre, Hospital de Peregrino, was built as part of a monestary that origniated in 1185. The hospital and hostel served pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela.

Ruins of Antiguo Hospital de Peregrino Navarrete

Still in the wine region of Northern Spain today and walking past many vineyards and wineries. The Don Jacobo winery outside Navarrete boasts that its wine is "Born on the Way." 

 Don Jacobo winery

After a quick break in Navarrete we're off to Ventosa. The weather is perfect today. Rain later, but 70 degrees and a light breeze now.

JGH  headed to Ventosa

Stopped for lunch in Ventosa and met Patrick from Ireland. He has walked the Camino six times already, and will complete two more pilgrimages this year. He's planning to travel to the US to hike the Pacific Crest Trail next year. Very interesting guy...a bit full of blarney, but entertaining.

Patrick and Jeff Ventosa

This intersting fellow named Viser was playing his guitar in the shade and singing songs he wrote about the Camino. We meet a few trail musicians on the trail every year. The first year we met a young man in lederhosen playing an accordion. Jeff asked Viser to play "Oh Canada," but he just shrugged and continued his act. I don't think he speaks Canadian.

Viser playing guitar

More vineyards and the Vivanco winery in Aleson, between Ventosa and Najera where we will stop for the day. 

Vivanco winery

 vineyards and pilgrims Aleson

vineyard DMS

A short rest break before crossing the Najerilla River into Najera.

Jeff park outside Najera

The Guardia Civil - Police Station - in Najera. This is the station where our friendly officers from yesterday work.

police station Najera

It was a long day to Najera, but we had a geat time. Feeling good and headed to our hotel for the evening. Off to Santo Domingo de la Calzada tomorrow. Easy day only 13 miles and one hill!

park near Najera US

 

Comments

1

I feel so lucky to know you guys and feel you've given a wonderful gift in your daily journaling. It's a joy to read your experiences and see your photos. Thank you so much.

  Carol Jun 5, 2018 1:58 PM

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.