Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Roncevelles to Zubiri

SPAIN | Monday, 28 May 2018 | Views [350]

Dry clothes and sunny skies all day today from Roncevelles to Zubiri. Only 790 Km to go! Met Korine from the Netherlands at breakfast. She tells me that her tour group is crossing the Pyrenees today…from Roncevelles to St. Jean--1 mile uphill, 14 miles downhill. WHAT?!! We could have started from the top and shuttled back? A bus will bring Korine and her group back to Roncevelles to begin their Camino pilgrimage the next day. We discussed this “alternate route” in detail for the first two miles this morning. Lots of laughing.

Camino sign 790 km

As always, the Way is dotted with Catholic churches, many centuries old and look at these old grape vine stumps! The towns are small and the roads narrow through them along much of the route.

Roncevelles Mission Church 

Auritz church and grapevines

Auritz street

Much of the Camino is wooded paths like this, or open farm land.

Wooded path

We stop every few hours for a Café Con Leche (Latte) and pastries, a Coke Zero (no Diet Coke in Spain) or lunch. We meet the most interesting locals and Pilgrims in these small roadside cafes or refreshment stands under a canopy, or on someone’s patio. In Gerendiain today we came across these gentlemen having a very enthusiastic card game. The gentleman in the purple sleeves would burst into song periodically…no idea why, except he seemed to be having a great day. A great place to enjoy a soft drink and take in the neighborhood.

Gerendiain Card Players

We were fascinated by Sherrie from Germany pulling her pack along the Camino on a two-wheeled cart. She told us she made the cart herself for this journey. We are very doubtful that this will work out well. In fact, about two miles down the path, we saw a similar cart alongside trail abandoned and with a wheel missing.

Erro Woman w cart

Our last stop before Zubiri was at Jesus’ “refreshment stand.” He was blasting Spanish torch songs and doing a brisk business. Who doesn’t want a cold drink in the middle of absolutely no where on a warm day on the Camino? The older couple in the front of the photo are driving the Camino route. Saw a very cool parade of vintage MGs drive past us while enjoying our Pellegrino.

Jesus refreshment stand outside Erro

Down the hill to Zubiri—much easier day today. We were walking like normal people when we checked into our hotel. Yesterday we may have been dragging a few body parts behind us by the time we reached the Roncevelles…

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.