Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Day 2 - Discovering St. Jean Pied de Port, Spain

FRANCE | Saturday, 26 May 2018 | Views [420]

Slept in (what??!!) and had croissants and very strong French coffee for breakfast. Needed that extra caffeine for our exploration of St. Jean. The castle you'll see below is atop the hill here and was built in the 12th century as a place for armies to gather before crossing the Pyrenees into Spain. Jeff made up several battle stories as we toured the castle grounds. I’m sure he will share them all with you on your next visit… Be sure to ask about the gun ports--his favorite castle elements. We spent much of the morning wandering the castle grounds and enjoying the amazing views of St. Jean and the mountains surrounding. It's a bit drizzly today. Kinda like Oregon!

 

St. Jean Overlook US

Typical side street in St. Jean. Very narrow and the cars come quickly! Keeps the population agile. Most of the cars are small and many have a number of dents. Seems that defensive driving is not a priority...did I mention yesterday's taxi ride? This street boasts a chocolate shop, a bakery, several Basque tourist shops, a hikers sport shop, an antique book/map story, linen shop, the church you'll see below, a few restaurants and a small grocery.

St. Jean Street

Many in France and Spain live in apartments like these or in apartments above their businesses. 

st jean houses

Cobblestone pathway leading up the the main castle buildings. Lots of cobblestones here. They can be a bit slick in the drizzle.

St Jean Castle road

 

 

St Jean Castle walls

 Gun ports.

st jean castle gun ports

A handsome pilgrim along the lush pathway beside the castle grounds.

St Jean path

st jean castle arch

The royal sheep just hanging out beside the castle. We are in  Basque conutry and learned today that after WW1 several Basque families came to the US to be sheep farmers and cowboys. Due to the expense of living in the US many of their decendents have moved back home to France.

St Jean sheep

Today's most interesting story... This is Alexandre. He's a Gendarmerie-a member of the military police in France. They patrol across the entire country. His partner and he are watching protesters (about 10 of them) across the street who want this area of the Basque abutting Spain to become its own separate country. According to Alexandre, “this will never happen, but we are required to monitor their activity today.” Alexandre is a BIG fan of American vehicles. He tells us he has two Harley Davidson motorcycles and he saved long and hard to buy a PT Cruiser. His dream car, for which he is now saving is a ’66, ‘or ’67 Ford Mustang. His dream is to come to New York and drive that car across Route 66. Evidently Route 66 is very popular here. We’ve seen clothing and cell phone cases advertising the historic drive. We invited him to stop and see us when he hits in Flagstaff.

St Jean Police

Jeff lights a few candles for us before we tackle the Pyrenees tomorrow...

St. Jean Church Candles

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.