Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

The Pilgrims Arrive in Santiago

SPAIN | Tuesday, 20 June 2017 | Views [683] | Comments [1]

The last leg of our pilgrimage from Padron to Santiago is exciting. As we come across other hikers, everyone is lighthearted and excited about arriving at the Cathedral Santiago de Compostela. We have about 15.5 miles to hike today, the last 3-4 through the city of Santiago en route to the Cathedral Square.

 Jeff Trail N of Padron

Farm N of Padron

Us on the final leg into Santiago. Beautiful farms and woodlands.


We met this trio of ladies at the top of a hill outside Santiago. They all just graduated with their Bachelor's degrees and live in Western Germany. They tell us that in Germany you take general studies for your 4-year degree and only specialize when you go on to graduate school. They are hiking the Camino as a celebration of their accomplishment and before they chose graduate school or work.

Sonia Martique and Hannah

Sonia, Martique and Hannah recent college graduates from Western Germany.

We've encountered a number of locals out walking, most in their 70s or older, we estimate. We always say "Ola" and if they want to talk, we do our best with limited Spanish, but lots of enthusiasm! Delores, in the photo below, was very happy to talk to us as she enjoyed her daily constitutional. She's 94 years young and used work in Santiago. Now she lives about 15 miles south in this farming village.

Delores and DMS

Donna and her new friend 94-year-old Delores

As we walk into the city of Santiago, there are lots of signs welcoming the pilgrims. This is the only gravel rendition we saw. The sign below illustrates the common trail salutation "Buen Camino" in several languages.

Gravel Camino Sign

Camino salutations

Our first sighting of the Cathedral spire! This puts some extra pep in our step!

Camino Dome

This is what we see as we walk into the Cathedral Square. It's a very light day for pilgrims. Last year the square was packed with wall-to-wall people.

Cathedral Square

Cathderal Square

Us near Cathedral Square

Cathedral Tower

Cathedral Tower

It's hard to describe the feeling we have as we walk across the square. It's truly a special journey. We checked into our hotel right on the square The Parador Reyes Catolicos. It's an incredible building that was started in 1499, originally built as a hospital to "shelter and restore the battered bodies of the pilgrims who triumphed over the last stage of the Way of St. James." - Santiago Parador Museum. The building was like a small city with priests, health workders, accountants, wine cellar, stables, medicinal garden and a jail. ...hmmm. Over the years it also housed orphans and others in need. 

Doorway inside the Parador Reyes Catolicos

Doorway inside the Parador Reyes Catolicos

After cleaning up and a brief rest in the hotel, we head off to get our official Compostela certificates that document our journey from Porto, Portugal to Santiago, Spain, 280 km, a life affirming pilgrimage.

In line for Compostela

The line is lots shorter this year--Just over an hour.

Since we are in line for an hour or so, it seems a good time to make more friends! This is Helena and Marlena from Cologne, Germany. Marlena is a pediatric nurse working the ICU. A tough job, she says, but she loves it. She tells us that she has flown to the US several times to help bring home critically ill German citizens. 

Helena, Marlena and Donna getting acquainted in the LONG line for the Compostela.

Helena, Marlena and Donna getting acquainted in the LONG line for the Compostela. Our new friends from Cologne, Germany.

Marco in Compostela line

Marco is also in line behind us with the Palistinian flag. He tells us he's trying to raise awareness of the plight of Palistinians. He lives in Chile and says Chile has the second largest population of Palistinians in the world.

Just around the corner from Cathedral Square is a police substation.

Jeff w Police SUV

After a quick bite in a street-side cafe like these, we head out to see Santiago. You'd think we'd be tired, but we are energized by arriving in the city.

Street Cafes in Santiago

Street Cafes in Santiago

Of course we visit a small campus of the University of Santiago that is near the Cathderal. Last year we toured the main campus. 

Jeff Univ Santiago

After a short tour of the city, we head back to the hotel for a great dinner and well-earned rest. This is the view, from our balcony window of one of the hotel's large courtyards.

View from hotel window Santiago

 

We hope you enjoyed sharing our pilgrimage on the Camino de Santiago!

Arch S of Redondela

--Jeff and Donna

 

 

Comments

1

You guys look amazing, joyful, and fulfilled.....what an achievement......I salute you.....

  Carol Jun 20, 2017 3:29 PM

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.