Existing Member?

WalkWithDonna

Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis Spain

SPAIN | Tuesday, 13 June 2017 | Views [530]

On the hike into Caldas de Reis we were surrounded by lots of pine and eucalyptus forests and farm land. The paths are fresh with the smell of the eucalyptus and Jeff is enjoying more shade today. We stopped to peel an orange and met Marian a young lady from Vianova, Germany. We've seen several women from many different countries hiking solo. We asked her about that and she said she visits with so many pilgrims along the way that she feels quite social still. She also said she finds it hard to adjust her pace to anyone elses, either faster or slower. Another solo pilgrim from Hamburg, Germany said she prefers the solitude and would never hike the French Camino route, "Just to many people!" We love the diversity of people out here.

Marian from Vianova Germany

Marian from Vianova, Germany

We caught up with this couple from Argentina about halfway to Caldas de Reis. They started the trail in Lisbon and expected to be in Santiago in 22 days. Double what we are hiking this year! We saw them again in line to get their Compestela and had another nice visit. 

Argentina Pilgrims started in Lisbon

This couple from Argentina had been hiking for 20 days starting in Lisbon, south of Porto where we started

Donna on the trail outside Caldas de Reis

Donna on the trail outside Caldes de Reis

After cleaning up and a brief nap Jeff dons his stylish footwear of thongs and socks and we head into Caladas de Reis to scout arond this small town. He couldn't figure out why this pilgrim wasn't laughing as his "Grand Canyon" joke (I know you remember that one!). I told him I was sure it was just a cultural thing...

Jeff with window pilgrim in Caldas de Reis

Jeff telling the Grand Canyon joke to another pilgrim

Jeff Buoy Bridge Caldas de Reis

Headed back to the hotel in Caldas de Reis and saw this old bridge with hanging buoys. You will never believe who is staying at our hotel, Jose Luis and his friends. We saw them in the dining room and Jose Luis asked if he could take a picture with us to text to his esposa (wife). Did I mention that Jose Luis speaks no English, Jeff speaks no Spanish and I speak muy pocito (VERY little) Spanish. Our conversations have been some very interesting pantomimes.

Tomorrow's an easy 12 miles to Padron!

 

 

About donna_jeff

DMS on rock Villares de Orbigo

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.