Existing Member?

citymike

Phuket

THAILAND | Sunday, 5 March 2006 | Views [791] | Comments [2]

What an interesting place Phuket is. Yesterday I went to the beach to watch the sunset, not bad as it goes and I like the beach and there seemed to be lots happening even though it was closing down for the day. On my way back to my hotel I called in what is a nice "local" bar across the road from the hotel. In my local there was a young girl I hadn't seen before and apparently she is the "bar girl". Even my local has a bar girl it seems and she offered me a shower which was very nice of her but as she appeared to be about 16 years of age I declined.

I took a shower and went to watch the end of the West Brom vs Chelsea match in an Irish bar I had seen earlier in the day. At the bar I got chatting to a nice old Irish man who told me he was 71, retired, and he had made his fortune in America. The Irishman had a place at the Phuket country club and his son is number 3 at Morgan Stanley and his other son a doctor and he's doing exceptionally well in life, he mentioned it a few times. He then went onto tell me that he hated American women and he could get loads of "pussy" in Phuket for what it cost him to buy a woman a meal in America. I made my excuses and left.

I went for a meal in an English restaurant where they were serving steak and kidney pie. Well, I just had to, it's been so long since I ate proper English food and they did a good job of it. While in the restaurant a torrential storm broke and so I waited until it abated but I still got my feet soaked walking through the water.

I called in a bar nearer home where I was joined by a bar girl, maybe mid 20s, whose only conversation was "I have Liverpool shirt" and "I like Englishmen". Well, I couldn't compete with that, what do you say to someone who doesn't speak a word of English? In fact, I realised that the Thai women I had seen on the arms of Englishmen are not demurr, they just can't speak English. Luckily the bar has a game which I played whilst half watching the Liverpool game and then I went back to my local before going to bed.

In my local I spoke with the bar owner, a nice woman who does speak good English. Another English bloke entered with a Thai woman and she said to him "you have brought your girlfriend!" He looked at me and said "she isn't my girlfriend". He seemed quite an abrupt character.

I went back to my hotel and before going to bed I threw up the steak and kidney pie.

Now, I wonder what I would encounter if I went to the sleazier parts of town. City play early tonight, afterwards I may take a wander and see what I encounter.

Tags: Culture

Comments

1

Loved this entry!
Especially "I realised that the Thai women I had seen on the arms of Englishmen are not demurr, they just can't speak English"

I did a podcast and have been raked over the coals by the sex pats denying they are sex pats!

  Kat Jul 2, 2006 2:39 PM

2

I do believe that it's worse than I thought. I met a few liars there, such as the millionaire but also another man who told me that he was a rock star. I have come to realise that it's full of men fantasising that these women do really adore them and that they have good reason to do so.

  doherty1957 Jul 3, 2006 9:06 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.