Existing Member?

The Doctor Is In

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - Kindness

ECUADOR | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [253] | Scholarship Entry

People are Basically Kind
Day 1: I looked into the eyes of the man that reached into our cab and ripped my travel wallet from my body. The police asked me to identify him. I could see his fear and foremost the light within him.
The incident took place 5 minutes from our Ecuadorian hostel. Scores of people, our taxi driver and the police ran after him and caught him. Dan from Community Hostel (www.communityhostel.com) came on the 7 hour journey of 3 different police stations. Hours of waiting led to scores of people in need of medical care. We held them in loving arms, and with kind words a sense of peace was established.
Day 2: We never know what life is going to bring us. I held the vision that my passport, iphone, and credit cards find their way back to me. And the money is used to help someone in need.
I dressed in zip-pocket pants & purple hiking boots as I made my way to the police station. I heard screaming from the street & ran to assist in the terrorist event. A woman had been stabbed & her eyes spoke only of why. I held her in my arms & witnessed her take her last breath. The ambulance arrived & I was motioned to come to a store to clean off the blood. Cold water brought me to my senses & I recognized my boots were covered in blood.
A year ago I struggled with the decision of what color hiking boots to get. Red or purple? I made a good choice. Purple Boots don’t show the blood.
Day 3 and the aroma of death and coffee linger in the streets of Ecuador. Marco from the hostel escorted me to the plaza where we met the tourist police. They then ushered me to the American Embassy with sirens, lights & salsa music.
At the embassy I shared my story. We all cried. A new passport cost $135. I had no money then I heard a calm voice say: “Valerie! Is that you? Do you need money?” I turned to see Scott whom I had met in southern Ecuador. He too had been robbed but had some extra cash.
Scott came back to the hostel with me & the next day we flew back to America to restore our losses. I shared my story with those I met & compassion led the way. I did not get charged exit fee when I left Ecuador. I got placed in first class on United Airlines. I sat next to an Ecuadorian criminal lawyer that specializes in cases like mine. He connected me to a US agent whom sent protection to the villagers.
What I lost was replaced with the greatest gift. People are basically kind.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About docvalnd

Being One with all.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.