Existing Member?

Dreams to Destinations

Aclimating to Afica

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 23 March 2011 | Views [308]

So a lot has happened since I last posted.

Last weekend on Saturday we went to visit Meru Falls. That was probably one of the most challenging and intense experiences of my life. Of course, it was during the most intense rainstorm I have experienced while I have been here. We got up early Saturday morning and started the trek to the foothills. We walked for about a half hour through a ghetto before reaching the bottom of the mountain. The majority of the hike was almost a 90 degree climb and while we were going up the trail turned into a river going down because of all the rain that was falling. About an hour later we got to Rogers (our tour guide) house which was a mud shack perched on a cliff which over looked the most amazing view ever. Incredible. After we had some chai we kept hiking. From that point forward the hike was fairly mellow until we got to the cliff we had to hike down to get to the river. Because of the rain the cliff was extremely slippery and the only safe way down was to cling to roots and branches and to slide on out butts. When we got down to the river Rogers had to make a stop and the military office posted in the jungle to pay them off so that we would be allowed to be there. Then he had to go all the way back to his house to get the necessary documentation for the gov't. While we were waiting for him (which was about 2 hours) an armyman appeared out of the bush. He ended up spending the rest of the trip with us and he was very funny. I think he asked 5 or 6 of us to marry him. The rest of the hike was literally through the river. When we finally got to the waterfall I hiked up some rocks so that I was positioned directly behind the falls. It was absolutely incredible. I will never forget it. On the way back home I met some very nice women who joked with me for quite a while. At one point one of them handed me their 50 pound sack to carry on my head. Needless to say it was a miserable yet comical failure.

The past week at school has been good, however because of the rains the mud has been almost unwalkable and unfortunately my rainboots leak... bummer. The kids seem to be getting used to be because they are being very naughty. I spend most of my day just trying to get them to sit still. When Agie (my Tanzanian co-teacher) is in the room they are incredibly well behaved but as soon as she leaves all hell breaks loose.

The director of my school and I are trying to figure out how we can raise $6000 to buy some land and build a bigger school because currently we have almost 40 kids in each class and somedays nearly 50. If anyone wants to be a part of this amazing venture please let me know!

Tonight I am going to an African circus which is supposed to be very similar to Cirque du Soleil. This weekend I'm going to Moshi, having a birthday party for some friends, and going to church.

I love it here but I miss you all at home so much. You are with me in my heart and in my prayers.

God bless.

About dmarii


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.