Existing Member?

Dreams to Destinations

Mama Africa

TANZANIA | Friday, 18 March 2011 | Views [353]

Thank god for this amazing experience. 

So far it has been really good. I had a bit of a frustrating day today but all in all it has been wonderful. I'm working with 39 children (watoto) and they are so awesome. It's a bit frustrating because the orphanage staff under estimates the abilities of the children and restricts what we can teach them. Also the children don't respect us like the respect the Nbongo teachers. They are SO crazy whenever the nbongo teachers leave the room which makes it hard to think let alone teach. I often find myself staring at the blackboard and quietly praying for patience. 

My first day here was a lot of fun. I met all my housemates who i LOVE. They are so cool. I'm living with four Canadians and one Aussie (4 girls, 1 boy). I am also living with Mama Zubeda, her daughter Zubeda, and her other daughter Himena. We live in a very secure compound surrounded by 20 foot walls on all sides. I live in a room with 3 other girls and everyday we're all up around 5 am to get ready for work. Usually I wake up a lot earlier (3.30 or 4) to write in my journal and have some alone time. While i sit outside and write in my journal I am able to hear the local Imam's calling out the morning prayers. It is so beautiful. 

We had orientation and a town tour which was really cool, however so many Mzungus all in one place certainly attracted a lot of attention. While we were doing the town tour we went to Maasai Market, which has some of the most awesome things ever and I can't wait to go back. While we were at the ATM and man asked me if I wanted to buy a necklace. I told him "Hapana shilingi asante sana" which means I don't have any money but thank you very much. We decide to walk to another ATM which was several blocks away and he followed us the whole way. After I got money he asked again at which point I awkwardly had to flatly say Hapana. 

My first day at the orphanage was great because the kids didn't know me well so they were well behaved. No so much anymore though. 

We went to second hand market to get green for Saint Patrick's day and some drunk Rasta hassled us for 40 minutes trying to get us to buy something from him. We eventually had to leave because he attempted to grab Nat's purse which did not bode well with any of us. The next day when I was going to placement two men fought over whether or not I would take their Daladala, and they ended up grabbing my arms and pulling me in both directions. It was kinda stressful I'm not going to lie. I walked away and found another Dala to take. 

Last night was St. Patty's day and we all went out to the bar. Before we got there we ended up getting stuck in traffic which resulted in a bitch fight in the car which I might have instigated.... It was amusing. Some girls are so ridiculous. 

I know this entry sounds like Tanzania is kinda crazy, which it is, but it is also one of the most amazing places I have ever been. The people here are so friendly. They all say Mambo when we walk by and we reply Poa. Often they laugh when we speak in Swahili, I suppose us Mzungus are pretty amusing. 

My second day teaching I was able to teach a group of 3 and 4 year olds how to do basic addition and today we practiced practical English words like body parts, everyday objects, and building features such as wall, window, ceiling, and floor. They are so smart. So far I have noticed 2 very intelligent children who I am considering sponsoring. I love them all (Naku penda mimi watoto!)!!! It can be difficult though because they don't speak much English and i don't speak much Swahili. 

Also, we're getting a puppy for Mama Zubeda! SO EXCITED! 

Naku Penda!

Till next time! Lala Salaam!

About dmarii


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.