Existing Member?

Journal of Kings! (and mossy)

Getting up to speed...

CANADA | Monday, 24 May 2010 | Views [246]

Ok, so let me fill in all the gaps from the past few weeks very briefly. Not too much exciting happened but we still did a fair few activities (and we didn't even have to make bunk beds!).

On the job front, I'm still not working full time.I have started service with EWR who place me at hotels but the shifts are very sporadic so I've been searching for something else aswell. Mossy is still working full-time landscaping and is loving it.

I got sent out to the Riverock Casino for my first shift with them and it was awesome. I worked 8 hours for $12p/h and also received a hefty cut of the tips aswell. So I earned almost $150 for a days work. Not three bad...being sent there again this thursday. Yes please. They also have a 24hour card room so I'm tempted to go gamble my tips in a poker game and make MILLIONS!!!!!!!!

Ok, so, activity wise we were supposed to go to the aquarium two weeks back but we failed pretty miserably at waking up (maybe alcohol induced, can't really remember) so we didn't even get downtown until 2pm and the aquarium closed at 5pm. So rather than wasting money we decided to just go up to Stanley Park and go in search of a place we'd heard of called Beaver Lake. To be fair it was pretty easy to find, especially with Geography-enabled sidekick, and the day was absolutely beautiful so we sat there for a good hour or so just watching the world go by. We didn't see any beavers which I was very dissapointed about, but we did see a big ass heron which I've got a video of somewhere where it's flying in slow motion...very graceful. The rest of the afternoon we spent wandering around the forest, we stumbled upon a wedding that was happening right in the middle of the park and with no other way round we had to crash through. Them all in their suits and dresses, me and mossy in shorts and t-shirts looking rough as hell. Pretty sure we're probably in some their pictures too. Top stuff.

On another amazing Vancouver day whilst Mossy was at work I decided to go for a little hike through the Pacfic Regional Park which is directly opposite our house (and way I say opposite I mean that it literally takes 12 seconds from leaving my door to being in the forest). I set off around 12 noon and foolishly forgot to take water with me! Oops. Anyways, I followed a nice easy trail that took me right out to the sea wall where a historic monument stands detailing the discovery of the river Fraser many moons ago. Turns out the guys got lost and found it pretty much by accident. Jerks. On the way back I followed a slightly different trail that took me right through the heart of the forest. The size of the trees here was stunning; the tallest are easily 100ft (there's a picture on facebook that has me stood next to one, it gives you a pretty good idea of the height). And then I found some very interesting wildlife - there were these tiny, no bigger than my thumb, but very round little birds hopping around in the undergrowth. I have no idea what they are but man they so friggin' cute. I reckon they were probably called "pigmy pigeons" or something. So that was a good day.

Then last weekend we finally made it to the aquarium (YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!! I LOVE AQUARIUMS!!!!!!!). This was an amazing day, we arrived pretty early on and decided we wanted to see as many shows as we could. Starting off with these little archer fish that shoot water at bugs on trees up to 6ft away which then fall to the water and are eaten. Pretty spectacular stuff. Then we saw Planet Earth in 4-D, so they had all water and stuff that sprayed on you. And bubbles. And vibrating chairs. Then it was the Beluga show outdoors. They were these amazing small whales that are born grey but eventually turn pure white and live in the arctic. Pretty amazing creatures. Then finally we saw the dolphin show late in the afternoon (accompanied by ice cream). They were Pacific white-sided dolphins which were rescued from the wild and then bred in the aquarium. They were doing flips and all kinds of dolphin malarky.

So huzzah! We're up to speed on everything except yesterday which I am going to put in a seperate post because it's pretty special.


Will try and keep this more up to date now so I don't have to rush through and catch everything up.

Stay cool.

About dmac_jmoss


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.