Existing Member?

The Kirwan Twins Adventures We've finally graduated, so we're setting off for three months to backpack around India, Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand before entering the "real world."

Ecuador vs. Peru

ECUADOR | Saturday, 1 December 2007 | Views [657]

The preliminaries for the World Cup are currently underway.  Ecuador has already lost miserably to Venezuela and Brazil.  Today is Ecuador vs. Peru.  For those unaware of the significance of this game, Ecuador and Peru have a heated history of territorial battles and personal rivalry.  I was supposed to go to the game, which I was told began at 6:30pm.  At 4:30pm, a cohort of local men assured me that the game began at 4pm.  Fine.  I set off to a sports bar to watch the televised version with friends, except in the Mariscal, Quito's most popular bar zone, not a single bar has access to live footage.  Instead, scores of people stare at a screen showing the crowd.  Yes, live crowd footage.  Furthermore, scores of locals gather at the bars to chant and cheer and mimic their compatriots, who mind you, are actually in the stadium.  So we were unsuccessful in watching one of the most important soccer games of the month (because let's be honest, every game is important here), which resulted in a 5-1win by Ecuador. 

Tags: Culture

About dkirwan


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.