Existing Member?

Central America Adventure Peace be the Journey

Tulum, Akumal Lagoon

MEXICO | Sunday, 12 December 2010 | Views [906]

After some time away from the beach we were ready for some fun in the sun and some cheaper days spent lounging on the beaches.  So we were in Tulum, where we pitched our ENO hammock at Tribal Village which was at the most northern end of Playa Tulum.  Beautiful sunrises and a long stretch of beach, you cant find a much better place to relax after nonstop traveling.  My first morning on the beach I found a stick I thought would be perfect for a sling spear.  Luckily enough for me the guy running the palapa village had the perfect rubber tubing for a spring and I soon had a Hawaiian sling spear that would rival any spear I could by in the store.  Unfortunately there was not that many good fish to spear and the only fish I speared was not the edible type (sorry little guy.) One highlight of our time in Tulum was a trip we took to a beach named Akumal.  Like many times in Mexico we were given a lot of wrong information about the beach.  Luckily, it was way cheaper to get there and there was no charge so we ended up paying like four dollars each to go.  Akumal is a nationally protected lagoon where...we got to swim with WILD SEA TURTLES, a dream come true.  The fish there where enormous in size, being protected, and had no fear in bumping right into you.  Hours snorkeling, nights drinking around an enourmous campfire where we made plenty of new friends, sunsets in swinging lounge beds on the beach, some bare-all sun tanning ;) and three days passed quickly.  We packed our bags said goodbye to Mexico and headed further south to the unknown country of Belize, our first country that neither of us new what to expect.

Tags: akumal, beach, collectivo, eagles nest outfitters, eno, sea turtles, snorkeling, spear fishing, sunrises, tulum

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.