Existing Member?

Di Rosa's World Read my social commentary from journeys around the globe!

Tantrums, Sniffer Dogs and Insect Repellent - Arriving in Christchurch

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 12 August 2007 | Views [637]

Jonny and I hit Sydney International Airport early in the morning like two zombies not really in control of our faculties.  We were booked on separate flights, mine with the cheapest carrier Jetstar and Jonny’s with Quantas Business.

We had arrived at the airport with plenty of time to spare (so we thought!) so decided to try and change my ticket to Quantas so we could fly together.

That being a success the lady at the information desk then confirmed we only had 5 mins left both to check in, Jonny had made a total cock up with the times and what we thought was an hour to spare was only 5 mins!

We ran from what seemed to be one end of the airport to the other in search of our check in desk but when we got there we were informed the gate had now closed and we couldn’t board that flight.

Before I had the time to contemplate a strategic response, Jonny swung his back pack round his head high in the air and then slammed it down on the ground, looked straight into the representative’s eyes and firmly said

'Now you listen to me, we have just this second purchased a ticket to Christchurch New Zealand, are you seriously telling me we can’t board? Well why the hell did your colleague let us purchase a ticket?  I am a serious regular business class flyer and have spent a ridiculous amount of money on this ticket, I want to board this flight, and I expect to board it now.  Do your job correctly and we won’t make a scene!'

To be honest I didn’t know if I wanted to  laugh or cry?  It was so out of the ordinary.  The whole swinging of the bag thing around his head....I wanted to run with embarrassment!!!!

But surprisingly the tactic worked and the Quantas official looked a little embarrassed himself as he proceeded to check our cases in and radio his colleagues at the gate to let two more on. 

Three hours later we arrived at Christchurch, New Zealand. At passport control we noticed a sniffer dog had sniffed out a single lone male and was sticking to him like glue.  The traveller was asked if he had any drugs on him or had taken any drugs in the last 48 hours, the guy who was a little shaky was escorted away for further interrogation (rectum examination?!)

Whilst I proceeded to find our cases, I felt a hard tap on the shoulder and someone instructing me to put my rucksack down on the floor.  I turned round and there was a little dog jumping up at my rucksack wagging its tail in excitement, the dog sniffing my bag with passion, again I was told by what I presumed was a security officer to put my bag on the ground..Now!

Beginning to worry, I swallowed hard and put my bag on the ground for the inspector to have a look, the dog was not budging from my bag, he loved the odour of my bag, and his head was right in, tail still a wagging!   At first I thought the dog was really cute but by this stage I was just thinking go away you pesky mutt.

I think the security officer was looking for fresh foods which are illegal to bring in and after I showed her the only thing I had was a box of English Tea, the dog and owner soon became bored and moved onto some other poor unfortunate soul.

Later that evening as I was unpacking my things I noticed in the front zip a bottle of Citronella Insect Repellant, this stuff has a strong lemony smell and I wondered if that was what the dog was after?!

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.