Existing Member?

Mandy's Movements

Sarajevo

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA | Tuesday, 25 September 2012 | Views [299]

We arrived in Sarajevo after a long train ride from Pecs. In Bosnia you can pretty much smoke everywhere except inside restaurants and that includes the corridors in trains. I know some people at home who would love the country for that reason alone!

Sarajevo is a city with a fascinating history and very friendly people. I think it's easy to just think of the war in the early 90s when you mention the name "Sarajevo" but there are many more layers to the city, and country, than that terrible time. It is a very old place and it has a great Turkish section that dates back to the Ottoman times. We did a tour with a guy called Neno (no, not Nemo the fish!) and it was absolutely brilliant. I would strongly recommend anyone who visits Sarajevo to do it. He was so enthusiastic and was a wealth of knowledge about a place that has a 1,000 year plus history. Better than any other tour we have done.

I should also add that they have done an amazing job rebuilding the city after the war despite it's lack of money - to give you some idea of their economic problems the youth unemployment rate (25-35) is around 65%. Europe is struggling as a whole but you do notice how much poorer Bosnia & Herzegovina is when you cross the border.

And I can't get my head around how and why the divided the country up they way they did in the 90s. And they have three presidents - one Bosnian, one Croation, one Serb. Crazy and complicated...

About dimanamandy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bosnia & Herzegovina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.