Existing Member?

my little (mis)adventures ummm...where am i?

6 am mornings, glorious

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 6 January 2011 | Views [665] | Comments [2]

yesterday was about 32 degrees and i am melting just a little bit here in cape town! went out n bought a fan for my room, thinking it would possibly be a life altering decision as perhaps then i can sleep past 6am when it starts getting haaaaawt. But here i am, 6am and up! Guess i’ll give it some more time. i start my practicum at the cape town refugee centre this morning so i've just been settling in and such. i know 2 things for sure already:

 #1. i live across the street from a tiny little bar with barrels for tables and a jukebox so i will probably be there oh, like all the time. met a few lovely locals there so life is good. also, a vodka coke is like $3 (this is important information to have).

 #2. i will be eating a lot of Simba brand chips (the packaging has a lion on it and it says ROAR, i mean c'mon!) and cheeseburgers from a fast food place (of course, it's me) called Steers. burgers there come with some type of 1000 island dressing and bbq sauce, evil genius. so looks like my december weight gain is here to stay.

otherwise, tuesday i took a very long sweaty stroll all over the CBD and walked all the way to the V&A waterfront. long street is packed with bars, restaurants n little shops so i can foresee myself being there a lot and the watefront has a massive mall and is crammed with tourists. got a nice sunburn on my shoulders during my little excursion and not sure if it's cus i ignored my sister saying i need to get SPF 30 sunscreen instead of 15 or if it's cause i was sweating bikram yoga-style all day so really, there was no sunscreen left on my body. probably a combo really.

so that's about it! my flatmate doesn't arrive til the 11th so for now i have the whole flat all to myselffffff. my building is lovely, right in the city centre and yesterday i went up to the rooftop where there's awesome views, a wee pool and a gym which i will never go into probably. what elseee... i find it interesting that i have basically like pay-as-you-go electricity so i've never been more conscious of turning off appliances n lights. will become hyper environmentalist. (ok this is a blatant lie. remember how i was saying i'm melting? well i am fortunate enough to have a flat that happens to have an air con machine in the living room (!!!) and while i've been reluctant to turn it on cus of the drain on my wallet, i mean on the environment, i have decided to give in for brief periods of time).

and on a final note, my goal for this week is to learn how to properly pronounce Xhosa. i was taught the other night at the bar that the 'Xh' part is like a tongue click to the side and i just can't seem to do it so i shall practice. First day of practicum in just under a few hours, wish me luck!

Comments

1

kinda jealous of the heat (it's -9 in Ottawa), but not really because i'd be melting even worse i'm sure!
sounds like you've found the perfect watering hole, and greasy fast food joint so now you're set!
i'm very intrigued by the xhosa pronounciation. it reminds me of a vaguely racist bit by the comedian russell peters.
i'm excited to hear about how things go at the refugee centre.
good luck!
xo

  Julia Jan 7, 2011 1:44 AM

2

Sounds relaly coool i'm glad you're having fun there!
LETS SEE THE PICTURES NOW!!!!!
are there any hotties at the place ur staying at?

  Louise Jan 9, 2011 6:37 PM

About dianacchan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.