Existing Member?

Chasing Carmen Sandiego

Downtown Day & Night

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 18 March 2008 | Views [517] | Comments [2]

I feel like I should now discuss my experiences downtown in Sydney.  My first trip in was on a Sunday.  You don't realize the buildup you have received for an-in-the-flesh sighting of the 2 landmarks (Opera House and the Bridge) until you actually see them.  By this I mean that (at least from my perspective) when you finally see the Opera House or the Bridge you are shocked that it is the real thing and not just the photo you have seen over and over because they are soooo impressive.  Seeing them for the first time is an incredible experience.  My experience went like this:  I took the 389 to Circular Quay and in front of me was a lineup of Wharfs where the Sydney ferries depart.  I headed left with my buddy Mark.  When we came to the end of the docks there stood the bridge.  With background music of an aboriginal playing the didgeridoo with a techno backtrack (I actually bought a 18 track CD from a similar street perform for $10, not bad) it was awesome to finally see the bridge.  I had been in Bondi for a week before I was finally able to get in the city and see the sights.  A little further and we ran into the Opera House.  Wow.  Hard to explain how just a building can be this incredible to see for the first time.  Either way, I felt it.  Walking to the end of that platform, with plenty of pictures along the way, we turned back to head and see the Opera House up close and personal.  This was so much fun.  The Circular Quay are is really nice and has plenty of due but I was content just freelancing it.  We strolled through the Royal Botanical Gardens, which was also great fun.  This place, if you find the right spot, offers the best views that combine both the bridge and the Opera House.  After some delicious Fish and Chips in the area operation: "Damn Dan, Get In and See Sydney" was complete.  My next experience was on a 3 hour harbour cruise that let me see the skyline and the landmarks at night and at different angles.  Again, they were incredible.  I was also considerably frustrated by the difficulty of getting a good photo because of the darkness and the sway and was often obsessing over this.  Well I saw it...which is kind of all that matters.  Sorry.

Comments

1

Carmen is that you??
Where in the WORLD is Daniel Hoffman?

  Gina Mar 26, 2008 8:36 AM

2

Sydney is my favorite city I've ever been too. No lie

  Peter Gregory Apr 2, 2008 3:54 PM

About dhoffman


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.