Existing Member?

Africa! Tales from Tanzania!

Zanzibar

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 24 February 2010 | Views [507] | Comments [2]

I am back to the swing of things in Arusha. Twelve of us girls went to Zanzibar for the past week and hands down the best part of the trip so far. Zanzibar has nothing on a safari. We stayed in Stonetown which is my favorite city in the world. We planned it so we would be there during the music festival “Sauti za busara” or sounds of wisdom festival. (I think there is something there with my name being in the Swahili word wisdom ;) ) Anyways it was awesome, very European feel, lots of history, lots of shopping. I just walked around all day, went to the beach, ate and ate. The streets are little alley ways with beautiful old buildings everywhere. Then at night we ate dinner at the outside seafood market, where I tried everything squid, octopus, shark…. It was the best food. My fav was Zanzibar pizza, totally different then ordinary pizza even in Tanzania. You could have all different kinds, but my favs were either mango or plantains with chocolate. I actually stayed until dinner the next night so I could get more food there and then headed north to Kendwa beach. SO beautiful, the water was so crystal clear. We stayed 3 nights there, in dirt cheap rooms right on the beach. It was a very lazy vacation; my only exercise was walking up and down the beach. Lol I found some sick shells tho, they are huge! Im excited because I am now pretty tan. Arusha is pretty mild temp wise, but Zanzibar was extremely hot. My valentines day was spent on the beach with all the girls, we went big and had an amazing dinner, literally on the beach. It is nice to be back in Arusha tho I really missed my kids and it is nice to not have to spend money. Lol Zanzibar is expensive! Oh well it was so worth it! Lots to tell about the trip, but I will save the stories until I get back. This weekend me and the girls are running/walking the Kilimanjaro half marathon. We haven’t trained at all really, but it is around the foothills of Kilimanjaro mountain, so it is going to be awesome. We will do more talking then running, but I am really excited for it!!

Comments

1

Sounds amazing girl! I can't wait to hear the rest of the stories!!!

  Amanda Feb 24, 2010 2:13 AM

2

Hello Sarah! Just talked with Mom and we agreed you sound like you are having the time of your life, so continue to enjoy. That beach vacation sounds fantastic. Love you. Jenne

  Jenne Feb 26, 2010 1:11 PM

About derski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.