Existing Member?

Africa! Tales from Tanzania!

Teaching

TANZANIA | Wednesday, 20 January 2010 | Views [820] | Comments [2]

Jambo! So I finally have started teaching…and I am in love with my kids and teaching in general…although not enough to make me have a career change.  I assist in teaching pre class which is like kindergarten in the States.  I teach at Jue Pre and Primary school all by myself (meaning no other volunteers with me), it is a middle English school and private.  Which is Tanzania means it is one of the best schools you can go to, but is still way below any standard school I have seen in the States.  I have on average 27 kids in my class and they are ADORABLE!  Monday was my first day and I was a little overwhelmed, the entire school including teachers acted like they have never seen a white person (muzungu) before.  So at break I went to play with the kids and not joking I was mobbed by at least 30 kids all trying to touch me and feel my hair. Lol So to put it in short I am the coolest kid in school, kids will come into class just to say hi to me and teachers too.  They are constantly petting my hair and touching my skin, I am like a science project, but I don’t mind because I understand I look totally different.  Everyone is really nice though and I know I will help with the productivity level, because they really dont get much done in a day.  Whenever I am at my desk grading there is one boy named Siad, who will copy my every move all day. lol So anyways all else is good.  Me and some girls went on a mini safari on Sunday and saw giraffes and zebras, etc.  Tanzania is beautiful and so green! I think that is all for now, more teaching stories to come.  Sorry I dont think I will put up my pics becuase it takes forever to download!

Comments

1

They pet me in Asia a lot too! haha I totally understand!! Glad you are having...just don't stay permanently! I would miss you! Though I would have somewhere awesome to visit occasionally ....hmmmm......

  Amanda Jan 21, 2010 11:00 AM

2

You wrote, "I am like a science project." Sarah, Sarah, Sarah - - that is everywhere, not just in Tanzania. :-) People will always be entertained by you and interested in what you are doing. Including me! And how could you NOT be happy there - - somebody else cooking vegetarian food for you AND a bunch of people being fascinated with the way you look. Does it get any better?! Love you.

  Jenne Jan 22, 2010 3:05 PM

About derski


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Tanzania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.