Existing Member?

6 Continents, 5 Months

Taxi Wars

GREECE | Thursday, 9 December 2010 | Views [341]

This morning we all woke up late. My mom's alarm that went off was an hour late because her clock was still on Italy time. The alarm went off at 8 instead of 7. We had called a taxi to come pick us up at 8 to drive us to Athens the previous night and he was there waiting for us in the morning. He wasn't concerned that we were late. We left late from the hotel and only got about two kilometres down the road when our taxi was signalled to pull over. We were all confused because we were going the speed limit and all had our seat belts on, but when we pulled over, the police in front of us, two local taxis pulled up behind us. The other taxi company was upset with our taxi because he wasn't local and apparently he was steeling at the business. Our driver was told we had to go to the police station and told us it would only be two minutes at the station. We waited in the van for an hour and a half while my dad and taxi driver were in the police station. We got sick of waiting so we went for coffee. My dad joined us about 20 minutes later. The about 30 minutes we were told to come back to the van because we were about to leave, it was another 10 minutes before we got the show on the road. We were now three hours late getting to Athens, so we couldn't see the Acropolis like we'd planned. It was too dark and past 5 so it was closed. We went into the museum instead so we weren't totally disappointed. The museum was interesting too, it was the usual, old statues, art, and armour. I liked the museum a lot! It was our last night in Greece so we went to another Greek restaurant. This was the first one the actually had Gyros (donairs). I liked them, but I didn't think they were as good as Famous Donair in Sherwood Park. Across the street was a store called Detroit. It said on the window it was Born In Canada so we went in to see what it was. It was a really nice clothing store called Dsquared. Apparently it is huge in Europe, it was made by Canadians so most of the clothes have red maple leafs on everything, even the shoes. It was a really cool store. After looking through the store, we walked back to the hotel and stayed in for the night.

About derek-anderson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.