Existing Member?

On the Road with God

People I've Met

CAMBODIA | Tuesday, 15 January 2008 | Views [587] | Comments [1]

The people and relationships we've made are the most important part of this trip, so I thought I'd describe some of my experiences.

On my last trip It was Seenot, an elder in the Phnom Penh church that most touched my heart. This trip it was her friend Nareen who really touched me. Nareen is not part of a Friends church but is a Christian and part of another church. She does a lot of community health work and worked with Seenot and Lois at the AIDS hospital. I had the chance to visit with her at the seminar. She does speak a little English. Much more English than I speak Khmer. I got to share my family photos with her. She has a family member (brother or uncle) who lives in Long Beach. She wants to see the US so bad. Besides family photos I brought postcards with various pictures of Calif, such as farming, San Juaquin valley, Yosemite and other areas. On Saturday when we took the bus to the province, she saved the seat next to her for me. She brought pictures of her life to show me. I was extremely honored that she did that. Even though we exchanged names we simply called each other "sister." I will miss her most.

Soteya was our translator for the seminar. He too is not part of the Friends Church. He is a Christian and volunteers with Lifewind (Medical Ambassadors) here in Cambodia. It was through that organization that Matt found him to translate. He is also a newly trained dentist here in Phnom Penh. He allowed me to spend a morning with him at the dental clinic he works at. He is such a polite, kind, soft spoken young man. You can tell he has a deep conviction to help improve health conditions here. He hopes to be able to continue on his dental training by going to Thailand to get his Masters degree in dentistry. He is a young man who will make a difference.

Then there was the duo of Vysal and Dyball, two youth and future leaders in the church. Vysal is Pastor Sokah's son. He plays the keyboard and guitar for the church. He speaks English very well. Dyball lives in Kampong Chhnang and works in the church there. Both are funloving, caring young men with a great love for God. Together they are a comic duo rivaling Abbott and Costello or Laurel and Hardy. They were so much fun. Mark really got to build close relationships with them.

Pastor Sokah breaks every stereotype you might have of a Cambodian. He is loud and loves to joke and laugh yet he does have that respectful quietness about him too. He is a painter and musician. Twice he led us in silly songs with silly movements. It was as if we were at youth camp. It was great. He has such a deep abiding love for God and doing His work here in Cambodia. He definitely has the gifts of preaching and evangelism. I will miss his laughter.

Pastor Po is at the Battambang Friends Church. He has a medical background. He was a medic in the army and was a survivor of the Khmer Rouge period. He told us several stories of his time fleeing the Khmer Rouge and helping refugees. He is a kind, quiet man with a deep conviction to help people and share Christ with them. He too has a strong gift of evangelism. I will remember him as a man who saw really tough times yet came out with a loving heart and a desire to help others.

There are many more people I could list here. Like our tuk tuk drivers. One we used the most spoke only a very little broken English. Between English and Khmer, Matt and Steve were able to give him directions on where we wanted to go. He was eager to please. He wanted to get us to our destination quickly and took every short cut he knew, swerved around traffic, drove on the wrong side of the road and ran red lights. All with a big grin on his face waiting to see if we were pleased with his service. All I can say is he always got us there in one piece but it was a wild ride!

I could go on but then I wouldn't have any stories when I get home.

Tags: People

Comments

1

I can see that God has truely blessed you by placing some new friends in your life. I can't wait to hear more when your home.

May God cover you with his wings as you travel home, may he bind these new blessings to your heart so it will strengthen your walk with him, and may you be filled with his joy as you return home to family and friends.
We Love You,
Tory, Gordon, Natalie & David

  Tory Brussow Jan 15, 2008 4:57 PM

About denise_b


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.